Gallery is not showing media

Rhythmiccycle

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I just noticed today thaty gallery app is not showing any media. I took a new photo and that is the only thing showing up in the gallery. When i open file Explorer i see all the camera files in the same folder as the new photo, but gallery only sees the new one.

I tried resetting a few times, I also tried "media Re.scan." nut that didn't work, and i looked at old message boad questions about this problem, and they say to "clear data" in media storage, but when i open medi storage under app settings there is no clear data option.

I'm using andriod 6.0.1

Update: I found out how to "clear data", and i cleared the data for my galery, and now its empty. So I think my life 1 year old randomly played with my phone and cleared the data. But its not rescaning, i keep rebooting, and running rescan apps, but its not working. For some reason the new Android version doesn't rescan. (I'm very frustrated)

Please help

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? Are the photos saving to Internal Storage or a microSD card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Were the pictures that aren't showing up taken by the camera app, or are they images from somewhere else (like downloaded from the web)?

Rhythmiccycle

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
They were taken by the camera app. But downloaded ones aren't showing up either. And its not just the gallery, all media playing apps are saying there are no files. For example, from "My Files" i open a video (mp4) file in tje camera folder and have it play in mx player. The video plays, and it even plays other videos in the folder one after another. However when I close mx player and open it again it stills says there are no files, even when i specifically direct it to the folder and hit the refresh button. I tried a few different apps and there all pretty much do the same thing. Its only "my files" can recognize the files.

I am most concerned about the camera pictures, but no files are showing up.

And its not just the gallery. No media playing apps are recognizing the files. For example, mx player. I open a video file (mp4) in the camera folder using "My files" and open it with mx player and it palys fine, it even plays the other files in the folder one after the other. However, when i close mx player and open it again it still says there are no media files. I even specifically selected the camera folder and hit the refresh button. I've tried a few different media player apps, and they are all doing this. It like only "my files" or equivalent apps can recognize the files.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
**I'm trying to post a reply with more details, but i doesn't show up. I spent like 10 minutes typing it, and there is no reply. Wtf**

Welcome to the forums. New users typically get moderated by the system. A couple of yours were pending approval, which I just did. at 10 or 20 posts (I can't remember which) the auto moderating gets scaled back a lot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
At this point, to be safe, I would connect the phone to your computer via USB, swipe down the notification panel to make sure it's set to MTP, and use Windows Explorer to drag and drop all of the photo files to your computer hard drive.

What directory are the photos in? Are they all in the /DCIM/Camera directory, or are they scattered among other directories as well?

(For the sake of readability, I merged a few of your consecutive posts together.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Argh.:-\

While I'm thinking about other possible solutions, I'm going to move this thread to the S7 forum, since it seems to be more of a device-specific issue, rather than a general Marshmallow issue ...

... ok, it may be time to try a factory reset. Make sure you backup all of your data, of course. If the factory reset doesn't help, then you could also try reinstalling the firmware using Samsung Smart Switch--this might be helpful if the firmware on the phone has become corrupt in some way (and factory resetting wouldn't fix that corruption).

migsixtysix

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I would like to know how you get on with this. I have a brand new Vphone-x3 running android 5.1 not even a week old. I can't access any photos in gallery whether they are from the camera or not. I can't go into file manager because it is empty when opened - and I can't access the phone from my pc because of a MTP USB driver issue which I have been unable to resolve. Very unhappy and thinking of buying a screen for the old phone instead.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae