Gallery still broken

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Unbelievable! I thought that in Android 3.0 they would fix the gallery. Apparently not.

I have all my thousands of pictures arranged correctly, in proper, multi-layered subdirectories by topic. I copy that onto the Xoom and blam, Android gallery completely throws away all my nested subdirectories and makes a flat listing of just one level.

Are they ever going to fix this in Android? Why would ANYONE want to scroll through hundreds of uncategorized directories? Am I the only one that finds this extremely frustrating? Is it possible I am doing something wrong??

myarbro

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Im having a similar issue. When I uploaded all my music, it took ALL the album art and put them into their own little gallery folder. So essentially I have dozens of gallery folders with only 3 I actually want.

Any help or ideas?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Try uploading your photos to Picasa, and removing them from your Xoom. Keeps everything in order. Dont forget to sync picasa in your google account settings.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Try uploading your photos to Picasa, and removing them from your Xoom. Keeps everything in order. Dont forget to sync picasa in your google account settings.

Although that might be an option for some people, others (like myself) don't want to put thousands of my personal photos on some server that I can't control. Plus, that shouldn't be necessary.

It is shocking that Android devices can't PROPERLY deal with nested sub-directories in the Gallery application! Imagine if you opened the file browser on your Linux, Mac, or MS-Windows desktop or laptop computer and it just scanned all your hundreds of nested sub directories on your computer and presented you with an icon for every directory on your system in one window.... assuming you had any real level of organization on your system, it would be overwhelming and impossible to find anything quickly. It is absurd!

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't have this issue at all with my HTC inspire or my xoom. I copy them over and the folder structure is preserved perfectly.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't have this issue at all with my HTC inspire or my xoom. I copy them over and the folder structure is preserved perfectly.

If I were to copy this structure to the Xoom:

Pictures/cats/kittens
Pictures/cats/older
Pictures/cats/funny
Pictures/cars/fast
Pictures/cars/nice
Pictures/family/trips/2010
Pictures/family/trips/2011
Pictures/family/holiday

then Gallery would show icons for: kittens, older, funny, fast, nice, 2010, 2011, and holiday. It would not show the proper top-level-only like this: cats, cars, family; then if you select cats you would then see kittens, older, funny; then if you select funny, you will see a bunch of funny cat pictures. And on my Evo, it does the exact same thing- displaying every bottom-level directory all at the same time.

Of course the file system structure is intact, but it is not displaying the pictures with the same file system structure, the way it should. Are you saying yours is acting differently than what I just described?

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was going to suggest using Quickpic to view your photos instead, but it does the same thing. It's odd, I don't know why both apps would do this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali