Gave up on Chromecast - nice idea, too many variables

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Seemed like a good idea in a very small package.

Casting from my Nexus 7, my computer via the Chrome browser, its extension, Videostream and my home wi-fi in a small apartment - but the stars never fully aligned. I spent more time actually seeking out (and trying out the) resolutions and work-arounds (and there are reams of these), than watching uninterrupted casting.

The Chromecast app would constantly lose sight of the device. Streaming from the computer would become staggered and choppy and then, just freeze. The device would lose sight of my wi-fi, despite being only 4 feet away from the router.

Finally gave up, bundled it back into its box and took it back. Not my job as a consumer to make a product work.

As with Android 5 (Lollipop), Google needs to spend more time actually making the products they do have work flawlessly, rather than use it on R&D for the toys of the future.

Last edited:

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ever thought you might have gotten a defective item?

Nope. When the stars did align, I could see its potential. When it didn't, a quick Google would find that I was far from alone - same issues, no real resolution from users. And clearly no response from Google. Could be a convergence of a bad device, the 'wrong' computer, wi-fi router or outside interference (first step in Support - blame the users' setup) - or, more likely, that Google isn't spending the time to find solutions to recurring, reported issues.

Tired of 'holding it wrong'.

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Could be an issue with antenna in the stick, try wrapping some copper wire around the stick to strength the signal and mitigate loss of signal

Posted via the Android Central App

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Could be an issue with antenna in the stick, try wrapping some copper wire around the stick to strength the signal and mitigate loss of signal.

Ha! Really. Really? I think not. Maybe I'll wear an piece of aluminum on my head so that the wifi signal can bounce off me, to/from my Nexus and computer and the Chromecast in an effort to improve the stability of casting?

Nope. Sorry. Not the plug and play experience I was hoping for - or should expect. Returned to store for refund. Back to watching streaming and local-stored movies on my computer.

Pity.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Seemed like a good idea in a very small package.

Casting from my Nexus 7, my computer via the Chrome browser, its extension, Videostream and my home wi-fi in a small apartment - but the stars never fully aligned. I spent more time actually seeking out (and trying out the) resolutions and work-arounds (and there are reams of these), then watching uninterrupted casting.

The Chromecast app would constantly lose sight of the device. Streaming from the computer would become staggered and choppy and then, just freeze. The device would lose sight of my wi-fi, despite being only 4 feet away from the router.

Finally gave up, bundled it back into its box and took it back. Not my job as a consumer to make a product work.

As with Android 5 (Lollipop), Google needs to spend more time actually making the products they do have work flawlessly, rather than use it on R&D for the toys of the future.

So how do you explain all the people who have no problem at all with their Chromecast?

Perhaps the problem was too much signal congestion considering you are in an apartment environment.

At any rate, the fact that they work fine for other people points to a problem unique to your set up, your location, or a defective unit rather then the entire product being defective.

Posted via Android Central App

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
At any rate, the fact that they work fine for other people points to a problem unique to your set up, your location, or a defective unit rather then the entire product being defective.

Well, aside from the multiple posted issues that reflect a recurring theme (ie: the Chromecast app and it's inability to not see - or lose - the device and sometime choppy casting of video) or suggesting Google apologists can be just as blinkered as Apple ones, I'll take this comment and refer you to the title of this thread.
Exactly.

Last edited:

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, aside from the multiple posted issues than reflect a recurring theme (ie: the Chromecast app and it's inability to not see - or lose - the device and sometime choppy casting of video) or suggesting Google apologists can be just as blinkered as Apple ones, I'll take this comment and refer you to the title of this thread.
Exactly.

I'm not a Google apologist. Far from it. But when thousands of these little buggers work just fine, you have to start looking for things peculiar to your individual situation rather than fault an entire product line.

Posted via Android Central App

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've got 4. Every single one of them work just as advertised. Casting to the nexus player on the other hand is a totally different story.....

Posted via the Android Central App

bigmac11

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Like the op I bought one. Had nothing but problems. Exchanged it for another unit and had the same issues. It then promptly went in the trash can.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
When I first got mine it had a couple of hiccups but we're related to my home network. Since resolving them it has been flawless. Typically if a person gets one... It had problems... Gets another one and has the same issues it is something with the network setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23