Gear S2 over Sony Smartwatch 3?

Solitary Wolf

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I'm recently thinking replacing my Sony smartwatch 3 with a gear s2. I just want to know if anyone was on a similar boat as me, weather it be changing from Android wear to Tizen, or vice versa?
I usually don't like sound notifications from my smartwatch, I prefer the vibrate feature, and I usually like using it with Verizon Messenger for checking texts when my primary phone is off me.

Would it be worth it to change over? I'm kinda tired of Android wear, and since I doubt the SW3 will be updated to Android Wear 2.0...

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Watch 3 is a joke when compared to s2. I just switched from asus zen watch 2. Tizen is good. Only thing lacking is apps. This watch is awesome. Hopefully ore apps come

Solitary Wolf

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Watch 3 is a joke when compared to s2. I just switched from asus zen watch 2. Tizen is good. Only thing lacking is apps. This watch is awesome. Hopefully ore apps come
Sounds good. I assume the exynos does great In efficiency and fluidity in the s2 and a native os than does this generic ARM-BASED quadcore with a stock android wear os.

Are there apps that allow you to check your text messages and send quick replies from your watch?

Also how is the battery life? 2 days or less?

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Sounds good. I assume the exynos does great In efficiency and fluidity in the s2 and a native os than does this generic ARM-BASED quadcore with a stock android wear os.

Are there apps that allow you to check your text messages and send quick replies from your watch?

Also how is the battery life? 2 days or less?
Yes you can reply to hangouts, what's app and other messages. You can reply with voice or preselected messages. I don't sleep with my watch so I charge it every night. The UI is fast and fluid and icons look super sharp. I have the tmobile s2 classic which is still running the old software. If you are getting the WiFi version you will have the same software the s3 has which is even better.

Solitary Wolf

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Yes you can reply to hangouts, what's app and other messages. You can reply with voice or preselected messages. I don't sleep with my watch so I charge it every night. The UI is fast and fluid and icons look super sharp. I have the tmobile s2 classic which is still running the old software. If you are getting the WiFi version you will have the same software the s3 has which is even better.

If my electronics store has the WiFi one, I'll get it. I think they're selling the s2 for 150 used. I could also trade in this SW3, they'll probably take it for a decent orice.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
If my electronics store has the WiFi one, I'll get it. I think they're selling the s2 for 150 used. I could also trade in this SW3, they'll probably take it for a decent orice.
I bought mine on an eBay deal. Manufacture refurbished. Came looking brand new for $130.

Solitary Wolf

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
ah i see.

Also another question. One place is selling a used one for $119 but it has the T-Mobile carrier linked with it. I use verizon so that feature won't be of use to me, but its a pretty low price so would go for that and trade in my SW3 for some in-store credit.
But I just want to make sure that getting a T-mobile version of a smartwatch will not hinder performance or restrict some features?

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
The Gear will work fine without cellular connectivity. FYI, T-Mobile sells a wearable plan for $10/mo which works fine with a cellphone connected to Verizon.

Solitary Wolf

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
The Gear will work fine without cellular connectivity. FYI, T-Mobile sells a wearable plan for $10/mo which works fine with a cellphone connected to Verizon.

Update. I mangaged to find a smartwatch without the celluar service. I might have lost some 50 mAh but at least i won't have to deal with annoying screens that tell me to add a service, lol.
Anyway, so far I have it and it's so much more smooth than the SW3. The rotating bezel is a nice touch too. It does what I need, vibrate at new notifcations, like texts, and tell me the time. I do miss the "always-on" thing that the SW3 did which was have it Black and White at most times unless i tapped the screen. I suppose I could do that with this, being AMOLED would mean its more efficient but still, rotating the bezel or tapping the buttom does a fine job to turn on the screen.
Thanks for your input, so far I'm liking the gear S2.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You do not need to miss always on. Your S2 has this feature as well. You will find it in the display settings.
Update.. Maybe it moved, but now I see "always on" under the "style" setting.

Last edited:

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
"But I just want to make sure that getting a T-mobile version of a smartwatch will not hinder performance or restrict some features? "

I got the AT&T version of the the Gear S2, used. I have the used cell data part turned off, and never intend to use it for AT&T. I assume that I am enjoying the benefit of better battery life because the cell data part is turned off.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if a Gear S2 Classic 3G which of course runs Tizen will work with an LG Android phone? I need a smartwatch with a phone in it.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The S2 3g is compatible with Android 4.4 and above and minimum 1.5g ram. Of course some of the Samsung only features may not work.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
To answer the OP, I know he already bought one, but I just bought the S2 3g/4g version. I have no intention of using it with cellular service. But I bought that version because with that version you can actually use the watch as a speaker phone. Meaning you can answer calls AND TALK. The 3g/4g version SM-R730) has a speaker, the WiFi only version (SM-R720) does not have a speaker. I previously had a Pebble Time. Two things I don't like about the S2...short battery life and too soft vibration. It it wasn't for those two things it would be a perfect smartwatch.

I find that I have to charge this watch every night (which I did anyway with my Pebble) but I do worry about running out of juice before the end of my day. Didn't even have to think about that with the Pebble. Secondly the vibration is very poor on the S2. You might not realize that unless you have had a Pebble. Even with it set to "strong" and "long vibration" I often miss it. So I was forced to add the "sound with vibration: option on the watch. Of course this won't work in situations such as meetings when you need the watch to be silent. So I will have to remember to turn the option off and rely just on vibration in those circumstances.

Overall it is a great watch, but there is room for improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeFunct1222