Getting a Used Tab - Already Rooted, How Do I Unroot and Should I

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
As the title says, I'm getting a used Galaxy Tab that has been rooted (I'm not sure what custom ROM it's using). I've never had a tablet before and I was wondering if I should unroot it to try out the stock Honeycomb? Yes, I know it would have TouchWiz on it, but I'm still curious. When I've used Android devices, I've liked to use them stock, so I was planning on it with a tablet.

So how do I unroot?

And is this something I should be worried about, or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance.

kcrandall758

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I'm getting a used Galaxy Tab that has been rooted (I'm not sure what custom ROM it's using). I've never had a tablet before and I was wondering if I should unroot it to try out the stock Honeycomb? Yes, I know it would have TouchWiz on it, but I'm still curious. When I've used Android devices, I've liked to use them stock, so I was planning on it with a tablet.

So how do I unroot?

And is this something I should be worried about, or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance.

Don't unroot. Unrooting just unlocks the tablet to open up its full potential. Even if you leave it stock.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tab using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Getting a Used Tab - Already Rooted, How Do I Unroot and Shou

Don't unroot. Unrooting just unlocks the tablet to open up its full potential. Even if you leave it stock.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tab using Tapatalk

Thanks!

So I'll keep it rooted, but how do I get back to stock? Just a factory reset?

Sorry, I'm tablet illiterate. :p

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I don't have it yet. I just traded with a guy who said it was.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Yep, he said it was running Paris v4 or something along those lines.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

So if that's the case, how would I get it back to stock, without unrooting?

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

You can look over at XDA for a list of stock and custom ROMs. I personally hated the stock TouchWiz UI, preferring the stock Honeycomb. However, I am running Task650's KME ROM tight now, which is TouchWiz, and I really like it. Stay rooted by just flashing a pre-rooted ROM and you will be good to go. First root-required app I suggest is Titanium Backup.

"LOOK" Here First {List} Roms/Kernels/Mods/Themes/FAQ'S *Update 27/09/11* - xda-developers

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks! I appreciate the advice! I don't have it yet, but should soon. So I'll check it all out once I get it.

Thanks again!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

If you want to flash the stock recovery you'll need to use ODIN. The above link KMachine provided has all the information :)

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Ok, sorry to bug everyone yet again. But I'm having some difficulty with that information.

I'm not necessarily wanting to unroot, but just return it back to stock. I'm not sure exacty what to do to download this to the Tab, to run it, etc. I'm reading through the XDA info, but I'm still a little lost.

If anyone here can help, I'd definitely appreciate it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Ok, sorry to bug everyone yet again. But I'm having some difficulty with that information.

I'm not necessarily wanting to unroot, but just return it back to stock. I'm not sure exacty what to do to download this to the Tab, to run it, etc. I'm reading through the XDA info, but I'm still a little lost.

If anyone here can help, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Open the link and scroll down to Available Kernal and ROMs. There is a legend that tells you what ROMs are compatible with what type of Galaxy Tab 10.1. Remember, you can only flash a ROM that is made specifically for your model.

Choose a ROM and flash it through clockwork recovery. Be sure to follow the instructions in the thread for the ROM you want to install. Hope this helps :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

New question...decided to sell the GTab to get a smaller one. The guy I'm selling it to wants it returned to stock Honeycomb, but to remain rooted.

Would I be better off:

A) Just flashing the stock Honeycomb ROM to it?

OR

B) Returning it completely back to stock and rooting it all over again?

OR

C) A better idea from the AC nation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201