Getting back on the Droid bandwagon

mapexvenus

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I am a phone geek and always carry a couple of phones with me. I was an avid Android user until I bought the Droid X and then everything just started to go south, so I switch back to a flip phone and waited for something else.

My other phone is an iPhone in ATT, which I absolutely love, esp with iOS 5 on it.

I recently upgraded my flip phone to a HTC Trophy (WP Mango) and am rather disappointed. Without going into too many details, I have decided to return that phone and hop back on the Android bandwagon. The two VZ phones I am trying to choose between are the Bionic and HTC Thunderbolt. I have never liked Motorola Droid phones and hate the UI. I loved the original HTC Incredible and because of that experience am seriously considering the HTC Thunderbolt.

Here is what is important to me. Note the list below is not in order of priority, they are all of equal importance.

1. Banking apps for Chase and Citibank
2. Email and Calendar (integration with MS Exchange and Gmail). This is absolutely non-negotiable. I love email and calendar features on WP7, and would like to understand how the apps on the HTC Thunderbolt compare.
3. Pandora, TuneIn Apps
4. GPS with Google Navigation
5. A good camera
6. Data transfer speed
7. Stability of whatever version of Android is running on the device
8. Call quality

So...Droid Bionic or HTC thunderbolt? Thanks in advance!

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll never buy another Motorola phone again after my experience with the droid x, my moms experience with the droid 2 and my buddies experience with a x and a x2
Get a thunderbolt if you want, its only single core tho

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'll give you my thoughts:

1) I don't bank at either Chase or Citi, but the one I do use works the same as if I was on my laptop at home. I can check the balance, make payments, transfer funds, etc. without any problem at all.
2) I'll let someone else address this who is more familiar with the similarities/differences between WP7 and Android.
3) I use both and they work very well depending on the strength of the data signal which is usually pretty good regardless of where I am around town.
4) I know that there were some problems with the gps when the phone was first released (I never had them), but I think that for most people they were fixed with the MR2 update, and then further improved by the Gingerbread OTA that's rolling out now.
5) I think the camera is great for a phone camera; certainly good enough for when you don't have your regular camera with you.
6) If you have 4G in your area, you'll be very pleased, and even on 3G, it's pretty fast.
7) Check out all of the Gingerbread threads here for more info on stability. My phone has always been solid, but not every Bolt owner was so lucky early on.
8) Seems fine. I use mine as my work phone and I've never had a complaint.

As far as which is the better phone? It's tough to say and kind of depends on your personal preference. The Bionic has dual core and more RAM, but many of the people who bought one aren't thrilled with the pentile matrix screen or the camera. I don't know if you plan to root either phone but the Bolt has an OUTSTANDING developer community supporting it; not sure about the Bionic's but you can ask the guys over in their forum. I personally like Sense, but people prefer Motorola's UI. I think you should head over to the Verizon store and play with both of them and see which one suits you better. Good luck.

One last thing, I'd probably hold off and see what the HTC Vigor has to offer. Looks like a great phone....

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Here is what is important to me. Note the list below is not in order of priority, they are all of equal importance.

!

1. Banking apps for Chase and Citibank = I am a Chase customer and I use the Chase app all the time......works amazing. Only time I step into the bank is to physically deposit a check or get my rent check
2. Email and Calendar (integration with MS Exchange and Gmail). This is absolutely non-negotiable. I love email and calendar features on WP7, and would like to understand how the apps on the HTC Thunderbolt compare. = I only use the Gmail calendar and LOVE it. If I update on my PC via Google Calnedar....it appears on my phone. I don't use outlook at all...well, not since I got my Droid (1 gen).
3. Pandora, TuneIn Apps = Unless you have an unlimted data plan, Pandora (any streaming app will burn up your 2GB data in no time flat unless you go WiFi. I have used Pandora and works flawlessly.
4. GPS with Google Navigation = I use SportyPal and Endomondo to track my jogging. SportyPal uses GPS and Endomondo uses the towers. The GPS locks in almost instanly. With Google Maps, it might take about 15 seconds.
5. A good camera = I use a few. I use Pro Zoom as well as the default one. I also use Camera360 and for panorama pics I use Photaf....it costs $3.99, but worth it.
6. Data transfer speed = Are you talking about from phone to PC?....that depends on your USB speed (1.0 or 2.0), I can transfer a movie (Avatar), from PC to Phone in about 1 to 2 mins. If you are talking about download an app from the Market....that takes about 10 seconds where on the 3G it took about a minute or so
7. Stability of whatever version of Android is running on the device = HTC/VZW just updated to Gingerbread (2.3.4) the other day. That is the latest for the Thunderbolt. The older version is FROYO (Frozen Yogurt) and is only older phones.
8. Call quality = I find that the quality is good, but if the other person is on a piece of crap phone, that will effect the sound quality....but I think it sounds great!

mapexvenus

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
1. Banking apps for Chase and Citibank = I am a Chase customer and I use the Chase app all the time......works amazing. Only time I step into the bank is to physically deposit a check or get my rent check
2. Email and Calendar (integration with MS Exchange and Gmail). This is absolutely non-negotiable. I love email and calendar features on WP7, and would like to understand how the apps on the HTC Thunderbolt compare. = I only use the Gmail calendar and LOVE it. If I update on my PC via Google Calnedar....it appears on my phone. I don't use outlook at all...well, not since I got my Droid (1 gen).
3. Pandora, TuneIn Apps = Unless you have an unlimted data plan, Pandora (any streaming app will burn up your 2GB data in no time flat unless you go WiFi. I have used Pandora and works flawlessly.
4. GPS with Google Navigation = I use SportyPal and Endomondo to track my jogging. SportyPal uses GPS and Endomondo uses the towers. The GPS locks in almost instanly. With Google Maps, it might take about 15 seconds.
5. A good camera = I use a few. I use Pro Zoom as well as the default one. I also use Camera360 and for panorama pics I use Photaf....it costs $3.99, but worth it.
6. Data transfer speed = Are you talking about from phone to PC?....that depends on your USB speed (1.0 or 2.0), I can transfer a movie (Avatar), from PC to Phone in about 1 to 2 mins. If you are talking about download an app from the Market....that takes about 10 seconds where on the 3G it took about a minute or so
7. Stability of whatever version of Android is running on the device = HTC/VZW just updated to Gingerbread (2.3.4) the other day. That is the latest for the Thunderbolt. The older version is FROYO (Frozen Yogurt) and is only older phones.
8. Call quality = I find that the quality is good, but if the other person is on a piece of crap phone, that will effect the sound quality....but I think it sounds great!

thank you very much for the response. By data transfer speed I meant over 3G / LTE. I have read some reviewed about the Bionic screen and frankly speaking, that is one of the reasons I am not too kicked about the phone. I do plan to head to a store and look at both phone though.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Motorola UI is not very awesome as Sense or Touchwiz however I recommend Droid 3. The UI is different and much better, no more laggy and its very tidy. I owned Tbolt and I dont recommend it. Battery life stinks big time!! Bionic.. it is awesome phone but if you are willing to lose lot of battery life for 4G then go for it. But I recommend Droid 3.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Motorola UI is not very awesome as Sense or Touchwiz however I recommend Droid 3. The UI is different and much better, no more laggy and its very tidy. I owned Tbolt and I don't recommend it. Battery life stinks big time!! Bionic.. it is awesome phone but if you are willing to lose lot of battery life for 4G then go for it. But I recommend Droid 3.

LOLOL....of course you recommend the Droid 3...that is what you use. I drive a Dodge Magnum, I think everyone should get one......LOLOLOL. Just kidding.

If you are primarily in a 3G area and you don't see yourself needing the 4g speed except for bragging rights...then by all means go for Droid 3. But, like all things, 4g/LTE will be the defacto standard in a year or 2 and you will be ahead of the curve.

While the TBolt does suck battery, it all depends on what you do with it. A lot of text, streaming video, internet surfing....yes, it will drain the battery quicker, but, for talking....it lasts longer.

Keep in mind that with the TBolt you can talk on the phone and surf the net.....despite what AT&T claims (except they are just saying that now about their iPhones) and with the 3G (Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Droid 3) you can't!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am a phone geek and always carry a couple of phones with me. I was an avid Android user until I bought the Droid X and then everything just started to go south, so I switch back to a flip phone and waited for something else.

My other phone is an iPhone in ATT, which I absolutely love, esp with iOS 5 on it.

I recently upgraded my flip phone to a HTC Trophy (WP Mango) and am rather disappointed. Without going into too many details, I have decided to return that phone and hop back on the Android bandwagon. The two VZ phones I am trying to choose between are the Bionic and HTC Thunderbolt. I have never liked Motorola Droid phones and hate the UI. I loved the original HTC Incredible and because of that experience am seriously considering the HTC Thunderbolt.

1. Banking apps for Chase and Citibank
2. Email and Calendar (integration with MS Exchange and Gmail). This is absolutely non-negotiable. I love email and calendar features on WP7, and would like to understand how the apps on the HTC Thunderbolt compare.
3. Pandora, TuneIn Apps
4. GPS with Google Navigation
5. A good camera
6. Data transfer speed
7. Stability of whatever version of Android is running on the device
8. Call quality

So...Droid Bionic or HTC thunderbolt? Thanks in advance!

Personally, based on my experience with motorola and htc, I would always choose a comparable motorola product if available. Bionic is available.
If camera were a very high priority the tbolt camera is better.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i have a thunderbolt, my wife has a droid 2. an ever since my wife got the droid 2 she has had non stop issues. mostly with apps. but not the screen is will not respond when someone is calling....

but anyways htc all the way. ui is great. i dont see a problem with any of your needs in a phone. tho the tbolt had some issues with gps at first but updates have fixed that for me. overall im very happy with my bolt. if you are in a 4g market even better. ill never buy a moto phone just because of the issues with my wifes

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt is the only phone on VZW that can offer simultaneous 3G data and voice. To me it's a big deal as I live near, but not in LTE coverage. Wi-Fi is rarely option. I use Mr.Number to screen calls and it works every where I go is assume. No more Spam calls using my minutes or work calls going to VM. LTE data speeds exceed what I get via Wi-Fi in my local area (ISP's fault). Camera is the beast I've had in a phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo