Getting Hot

dad2paisley

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I've seen many geeks reviews on youtube and some from the folks who have tech shows and the one complaint about the HTC One is that is gets so hot when you use the device a lot. I use mine pretty heavily and it hasn't got hot like they say.
Anyone have a hot issue with the phone?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It could depend on what you're used to.

I don't think the internals of the phone get any hotter than other phones with comparable screen sizes when doing something intensive like playing an online 3D game.

But, with the body being aluminum, the phone will certainly feel a lot hotter in your hand than will a phone with a plastic or poly body.

dad2paisley

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
My iphone4 died and one cause is that it got so hot even with a case on the back. I took off the case and it nearly burned my hand.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets hot when using navigation and charging at the same time in my car. I'm not sure if it's because I go naked and the aluminum is in the sun "in the car dock" or if it's just because of the navigation /charging. I often have the Gsam warning pop up that it's running hot.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets hot when using navigation and charging at the same time in my car. I'm not sure if it's because I go naked and the aluminum is in the sun "in the car dock" or if it's just because of the navigation /charging. I often have the Gsam warning pop up that it's running hot.

Putting this thing in the sun is no joke. You could cook a steak on it, albeit a very small steak. To flip this around, I had a vent mount in my car where my One resided until the mount broke. I didn't think about it one day and turned on the AC while I drove home (about 45 minutes). When I went to take it out of the mount I nearly dropped it. Cold as ice.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if it runs hot everytime I use it in the car would it hurt the battery over time?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if it runs hot everytime I use it in the car would it hurt the battery over time?

Yes, however the effects probably wouldn't be apparent for a very long time. Sort of makes it a moot point, but the answer is yes.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Remember....heat kills....

But it's probably not the battery that's getting hot. I would think it's a combo of the screen being on and the proc running continuously.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, however the effects probably wouldn't be apparent for a very long time. Sort of makes it a moot point, but the answer is yes.

Depends on if it's the battery or other internals getting hot. I know heat travels and it could impact batt life for the instance that it's running but once it cools down, all should be good. But I think it's the screen on and proc continuously running causing it to get hot.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
We have to remember part of the design of the aluminum body is it's ability to assist in dissipating heat. Plastic doesn't do as good a job of it, you just feel it more with aluminum.

Davethebrewer

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Everyone always talks about how it feels hot and metal is different than plastic. How about real numbers from something like the Battery Monitor Widget? Mine regularly hits 120F according to BMW when playing Ingress with phone in car dock. I even hit 132F once today (I am sure this is not good for chips or battery).

For reference regular charging at my desk or at home at 900+mA never gets above 92-94F.

I think if you are trying to charge at the same time it shuts off charging around 115F and the LED starts to flash red. I am sure that is too high, but I have been to Sprint stores twice telling them that this is too high, but they keep either saying it is Ingress or it is OK or that you should never run GPS and charge at the same time. I have to run a test with Maps for navigation again, but I think the same thing happens there. Having GPS on, screen on and data just burns the thing up.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Everyone always talks about how it feels hot and metal is different than plastic. How about real numbers from something like the Battery Monitor Widget? Mine regularly hits 120F according to BMW when playing Ingress with phone in car dock. I even hit 132F once today (I am sure this is not good for chips or battery).

I think if you are trying to charge at the same time it shuts off charging around 115F and the LED starts to flash red. I am sure that is too high, but I have been to Sprint stores twice telling them that this is too high, but they keep either saying it is Ingress or it is OK or that you should never run GPS and charge at the same time. I have to run a test with Maps for navigation again, but I think the same thing happens there. Having GPS on, screen on and data just burns the thing up.

Let's all sing........BURN BABY BURN....BURN.....la la la la.....

**UPDATE**

Since no one knows that song....I'll go more conservative...

Sing everyone!!........The phone, the phone, the phone is on fiiiirrrree...we don't need no chargers let the mutha *&*^*&'s burn!!.....

Last edited:

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine got hot while charging and browsing the internet. It got up to 99? when I stopped using it. I put it in my pocket to let it cool off and then I got a hot battery warning. I checked the emtemp and it was like 88?. Anyone know what temperature the warning goes off for?

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

For reference regular charging at my desk or at home at 900+mA never gets above 92-94F.

What? Not run GPS while charging? I have a car dock that charges the phone when I plug it in.

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I am in my car a lot during the work day. All phones I have had over the last five or so years (BB Storm, Moto, EVO, iPhone) got super hot when heavily used (music or phone calls while GPS navigating)...especially if done while charging. I like to either use a vent clip so the AC can blow over it, or even sort of wedging it in the AC vent lol. I talk on ear buds so it works. Sometimes when my phone battery gets over 105 its fun to put it near the vent and see it drop below 80 something!

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Belhade

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the car all day with my phone, too... I need to find my vent clip. I almost never use a/c for myself, just . phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer