Getting older sucks... in more ways than one :-( I don't recommend it ;-)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
We had to move my dad to a senior living group home.. his dementia has gotten too bad. Unfortunately the doctors say he doesn't have that much longer, and to think about hospice care. He has deep vein thrombosis, which is what's caused his vascular dementia and multiple strokes.

I've been filling the role of his parent for the last 3 years, and it's been the saddest, most difficult time of my life.. and my wife's.

She's been an Angel, and had my back the whole time.

Treasure those around you and the good times that come along... you never know when life's going to throw you a curve ball.

I like to listen to this song.. it's bittersweet, but it also gives me hope that I will still have good times to come once the loss and grieving are done.

https://youtu.be/o0JqC2UDpoE

Reactions: winmod21

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the tough times, my friend. You and your wife are doing the very best that you can. I hope he at least can continue to feel happiness and love.:)

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
We had to move my dad to a senior living group home.. his dementia has gotten too bad. Unfortunately the doctors say he doesn't have that much longer, and to think about hospice care. He has deep vein thrombosis, which is what's caused his vascular dementia and multiple strokes.

I've been filling the role of his parent for the last 3 years, and it's been the saddest, most difficult time of my life.. and my wife's.

She's been an Angel, and had my back the whole time.

Treasure those around you and the good times that come along... you never know when life's going to throw you a curve ball.

I like to listen to this song.. it's bittersweet, but it also gives me hope that I will still have good times to come once the loss and grieving are done.

https://youtu.be/o0JqC2UDpoE
I care for hospice clients & dementia/Alzheimer's clients. What you are doing for your dad is beautiful and your wife's support is invaluable. Dementia can be so hard for loved ones to experience; to watch this person they love so much change in so many ways; it's hard. Take advantage of hospice when you can. They do provide so much support, comfort & usually are able to offer a couple hours a day of quality care.

God Bless you for being there for your dad. And God bless your wife for being there for both of you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much for the support guys and gals, spoken and unspoken :D It means more than you can imagine ;) It's been a day by day experience, but the support we've received from caring folks like you has made a huge impact. Don't ever give up on people, when the chips are down they are willing to give whatever support they can :) This forum and the amazing people on it has helped me tremendously through this experience :p

B thanks for your kind words, someone with your job had to explain the new situation to me, and they did it with the same compassion and caring you have ;)

And tismydroid thanks for the first hand info, very much appreciated :D I might have a few questions for you sometime if you don't mind ;)

Again thanks everyone for letting me share :D

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he will not be in pain. I also hope that you and your family will find comfort knowing that you've given him care and compassion.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Man, I cannot imagine how difficult this has been for you and your family! I obviously don't know you or your father, but he raised a great son that's willing to stand by him through such a difficult time.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Truly understand the tough times we go though with older parents and family ..and always know you have someone to lean on to help either to talk or listen ..we give back from all those years they took care of us ...it's a hard thing to see and not easy..we do the best to give some quality time in these times ..prayers to keep you both strong ..and I agree keep some time for you as well ...God helps those who help themselves

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again everyone :D You're all spot on about taking care of myself. I've pretty much put myself on hold to take care of him... it's been really hard to make time for myself and my relationship with my wife. She's been in the same boat, but we took the advice and went out for a nice evening on the town and it was great :D We definitely need to do more of that ;)