Gingerbread coming to the HTC Evo Soon? Sprint's site says so...or it's a typo...

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Was browsing Sprint's site this morning and saw that the Evo is advertised as "Now with Android 2.3" I hope this means it is coming soon, and not just a typo. It wasn't there the other day, so, maybe it will be here sooner than later! :)

I have a screen shot, but can't upload it to any sites at the moment if anyone wants to host it (just PM me an email). Work restricts these kinds of sites!

Reactions: PapaNoHair#AC

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I thought it was a typo, but it is posted both on the phone search screen AND the phone details screen...so, maybe it will be sooner than later! :) Hopefully it's a start and soon.

According to my phone, no HTC updates available! :(

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't expect a stealth update to Gingerbread here, however is likely the OTA may be near.

I don't really see much difference between the Evo's Froyo and the Nexus Gingerbread to really get me excited about this upgrade... I would like to have it but is not going to bring the significant changes Froyo brought when it rolled out. The most I have noticed is few apps that don't work properly on Gingerbread vs Froyo. The best feature for me is the new text select, is great on GB.

Dracor

May 23, 2011
Visit site
according to customer service the update is now available to Current HTC Evo owners and will continue to roll out to the other Evo owners over the period of this week

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Question. I'm rooted, stock rom. All I have done is "Frozen" the bloat ware.

So, should I unfreeze everything before I call Sprint and beg for the update?? I know the update will break my root, but that's ok.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, I tried to start a thread in the XDA Development section about this and got flamed six ways from Sunday and then had the thread deleted. Jeez! Those guys are all business!

Last edited:

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I find it hard to believe they would roll this out now...and there is no other news of it.

Though, it might explain why the EVO was out of stock for so long on the website! :)

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Question. I'm rooted, stock rom. All I have done is "Frozen" the bloat ware.

So, should I unfreeze everything before I call Sprint and beg for the update?? I know the update will break my root, but that's ok.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "frozen" and "unfreeze." I haven't heard these terms used before so I'm not sure what they entail. However, if you are rooted and still running the stock ROM then you should be able to receive the OTA like any other phone. You will lose root, but you can always reroot. Or, you can hold out for the OTA ROM with root, which I am sure the Dev guys on XDA will have up in no time.

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Those store Reps!

Well I had to run to the Bank, so I stopped by Sprint(Brick NJ) in the process. Of course, the store know-it-all, says I dont know what I'm talking about, when I asked about the 2.3 update. I simply asked "Being that 2.3 is now available on the New Evos', can you flash here in the store or do I have to wait for the OTA?" Ballon Boy replies, "Epic 3D is the only phone with that", real slick like. Then I proceeded to show him on his computer, the Sprint site. Then I get complete silence. Thanks to Android Central and the forums, most of us are wwaayy ahead of the store reps.

Reactions: sterno3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance