Giving my old phone to my kid (advice?)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am upgrading to the GS3 and figured I would just give my old EVO 4G to my kid to use as a portable gaming/iPod/Camera thing. Not going to have any cell service contract with it.

However, I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. My plan was to set up a Gmail account for him (at 11, he's too young to have his own so I'll have to make one), and then I figured I'd hook up him up with Google Voice and GrooVe IP so he can make and get calls over wi-fi on it.

I still want him to be able to download apps, but preferably not buy them without approval from me (as to not rack up my credit card bill, obviously). I am not sure how to set that up though....my iPad always asks me for a password to download/install apps, but can I do this with the EVO?

Does anyone have any advice on doing this?

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You can add a "Pin" to the GooglePlay APP in settings, just go to GPlay and press settings

You can change "content" and add a "Pin #" to it

Hope that helps

pmoser

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you have to worry about the market because you would have to enter a credit card first. So just don't do that.

And on HTC sense during setup you can do a WiFi only device so that solved that probelm

Sent from my Droid Incredible

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You can add a "Pin" to the GooglePlay APP in settings, just go to GPlay and press settings

You can change "content" and add a "Pin #" to it

Hope that helps

That's awesome...I didn't know that was there. Thanks, as that's what I was looking for.

I don't think you have to worry about the market because you would have to enter a credit card first. So just don't do that.

And on HTC sense during setup you can do a WiFi only device so that solved that probelm

I wanted to add a CC because I do want to be able to buy apps for the phone....just with me having to approve it.

I have CM7 set up on the phone right now. I could flash a Sense ROM. What does that setup about a WiFi only device do that do that would be different from just not having a cellular provider?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe