Giving up on Google OTA updates

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I blame Google to, I mean why not? It's their OS... All I'm saying is every Android phone I've ever had there was a delay for updates. I've rooted and flashed ROM's before on my previous phones but it's just getting kind of stupid that I have to download a "Leak" or flash a ROM to have the latest software.

Just expressing my feelings toward the subject that's all.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes Android is Google's operating system, but what we have is the HTC/Verizon version of it. Google allows them to use and modify the operating system to their liking, and as such it is HTC/VZW who should be held responsible for delayed updates. Not a single person at Google is working on updating the software on your HTC Rezound, they didn't sell you the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If your phone works fine and all of your essential apps are available to you, it doesn't matter.

You make it seem like you want ICS just for the sake of having ICS. Stop driving yourself crazy.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I blame Google to, I mean why not? It's their OS... All I'm saying is every Android phone I've ever had there was a delay for updates. I've rooted and flashed ROM's before on my previous phones but it's just getting kind of stupid that I have to download a "Leak" or flash a ROM to have the latest software.

Do you blame Microsoft when Dell or HP or whatever won't upgrade you to the latest version of Windows?

Google wants updates to be pushed quicker, they tried the Google alliance thing or whatever but all the manufacturers reneged.

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
All I'm saying is I wish they would handle it better, its my personal opinion as a user.

The 4.0 OS is a couple months old now and all I'm saying is why is it taking so long?

Chill people...

Sent from Verizon HTC-R

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Plus I'm not driving myself crazy just saying they need to step their game up in the development department.

Sent from Verizon HTC-R

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

it is IMPOSSIBLE to blame Google. TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

Why? They pushed out the upgrade last fall. They did their part.

Can they put Sense on your phone? No, that is up to HTC
Can they make the radios work with Verizon? No that is Verizons job.

Now if googs was holding ICS for a few months to give Nexus a headstart. Hell ya, I would help you make the bombs.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of the Nexus didn't the 4.0.4 just drop for Verizon??? Hmm isn't that a pure Google phone? How come other carriers have this update and Verizon just getting it???

Sent from Verizon HTC-R

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Google does not support CDMA. AOSP only gets GSM radios built for it by google, everything else has to be done by the carriers. Any bets on why a communication company sucks at programming software for cell phones?

Plus, who cares? Verizon is just slow getting things done, so what? Everybody's phone works perfectly fine on Gingerbread. Plus, ICS changes some things a bit, and normal people are gonna freak when the update comes. Pleasing the 1% and pissing off the 99% is not the greatest idea in the world. People who care enough have their way, HTCDev Unlock. This is the compromise we have been given. I think it's HTC saying "sorry, here is a way if you must get updates super fast, it ain't the greatest, but it's better than nothing". If your unwilling, sorry, but flipping out isn't gonna make things happen any faster.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok that is sorta right and wrong. Google cannot include CDMA in ASOP builds because of the closed source that Verizon insists is in there. ASOP by definition is Open Souce, thus the closed souce code cannot be included.

However, google does provide all the firmware updates for the VZW Nexus. They then pass it off to VZW for them to test before it goes on the network as an approved device.

Google is not holding anything up

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You are waiting on HTC develop the build and Verizon to certify the build.

Google has done all it needs to do.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Well apparently Google has no control over their product which is their OS. To the people that don't see the big picture please go home, you can call me dumb or stupid I honestly don't care really.

I still blame Google mainly because it starts there. So post your pics and links and wait for your update on your phone you brought 5 months ago or even yesterday out the box lol with old software.

I blame the carriers, brands and GOOGLE its all the same in the end!

Sent from Verizon HTC-R

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I got my update 2 months ago, and I'm already home. Open Source is a XDA.

What is this "big picture"? Verizon must be doing something right, because everybody I know who is on big red, only says how awesome it is. People not on Verizon are mostly jealous, and openly tell me how crappy xyz company is. Is this not what Verizon want's? Updates are not a big deal to them, because I bet over 90% of the customers with Android phones, have no idea what version they are on, or what ICS is. If I'm Verizon and not doing something only pisses a tiny minority of people off, I'm probably gonna not gonna do it. All companies make this same choice all the time.

Unlock, flash, be happy my friend.