Going for the whole Enchilada and need some quick help

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted, unlocked, running stock ICS 4.02 with the newest version of CWM permanently installed and just need some quick advice.

I knew that by installing CWM permanently and modifying the default recovery, I wouldn't be able to get the regular 4.04 OTA update anyway, and, while that's easy enough to fix, I'm ready to try something else anyway but still want whatever benefits the 4.04 update will provide--new radios, bootloader, stability, etc.

My plan is to install AOKP with the Franco kernel and see how I like it.

I've already made a nandroid backup and would like to leave CWM permanently installed as long as I won't risk screwing anything up.

Here's what I downloaded and transferred to my SD Card---i.e. my ingredients

1. AOKP Toro Build 37
2. 4.04 Radios with Bootloader--I verified the md5 sums match
3. Franko Kernel Milestone 3
4. GAPPS for ICS 4/29 Build

If I am missing something or would be better served with a newer/different file version, please let me know.

Here are my steps:

1. Backup/create nandroid in CWM
2. Launch CWM
3. Wipe Cache
4. Wike Dalvik Cache
5. Wipe data/factory reset.
6. Mount system
7. Install the .zip file with the 4.04 radios and bootloader
8. DO NOT Reboot system and remain in CWM
9. Install zip file for AOKP Build 37
10. Install zip with 4/29 GAPPS
11. Install Franko Milestone 3 zip.
12. Reboot system
13. Setup/restore apps and enjoy all the great AOKP features

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Cool. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just curious, and I know this is a matter of opinion, but once I install AOKP and Franco, is it usually pretty safe to just wipe cache, dalvik cache, and mount system (if truly even necessary) WITHOUT wiping user data and doing a factory reset, when I decide to upgrade to the newer versions of AOKP or Franco?

I know there are some that advocate wiping user data every time the kernel or ROM is updated.

I've gotten to be more of a minimalist with my icons and homescreens, so restoring a phone from scratch isn't the end of the world. I am just curious if most people feel the need to wipe user data when keeping within the same ROM or kernel?

Obviously, if something goes wonky, I'll probably be wiping data anyway, but I am optimistic that everything will be OK.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just curious, and I know this is a matter of opinion, but once I install AOKP and Franco, is it usually pretty safe to just wipe cache, dalvik cache, and mount system (if truly even necessary) WITHOUT wiping user data and doing a factory reset, when I decide to upgrade to the newer versions of AOKP or Franco?

I know there are some that advocate wiping user data every time the kernel or ROM is updated.

I've gotten to be more of a minimalist with my icons and homescreens, so restoring a phone from scratch isn't the end of the world. I am just curious if most people feel the need to wipe user data when keeping within the same ROM or kernel?

Obviously, if something goes wonky, I'll probably be wiping data anyway, but I am optimistic that everything will be OK.

I presume when you mean "mount system" you mean format system, correct?

When going between versions of the same rom, like going from AOKP B36 to B37, usually the dev will tell if he/she thinks a full wipe--data/cache/dalvik--is necessary. Sure, you can in theory dirty flash (meaning a partial wipe), but if any issues arise you can be rest assured the root of the problems would be the leftover data.

If you have a launcher like Apex/Nova, you can also save your homescreens and restore after you flash. Typically, I'll install a rom, let market restore do its thing, and immediately jump to Nova and restore my screens. It takes about ~15-20 minutes depending on how fast market restore is moving.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I presume when you mean "mount system" you mean format system, correct?

I hate using ROM Manager for anything which is why I installed CWM permanently in the first place...lol

I prefer to do everything in CWM manually and was reluctant, at first to even update to the new touch-based version, but I like it.

With that being said, there are still some settings in CWM that I rarely use and don't really understand.

One of them is MOUNT SYSTEM. When you select it, it will immediately change to UNMOUNT SYSTEM

I believe this setting is located under Advanced Settings or under another menu...and since I am still backing stuff up, I can't get into CWM at the moment :)

Someone once said that they always MOUNT SYSTEM when installing any mod or ROM "for good measure," so I started doing it to, and it hasn't caused any damage, but may not have helped anything either.

Like I said, if my list of steps is missing things or has too many, let me know :)

I appreciate your help.

Reactions: dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I've never done that, but i always format system before a new rom. For the same reasons - good measure.

And I'm with you. I do everything in recovery manually. Although I'm using a different recovery now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I hate using ROM Manager for anything which is why I installed CWM permanently in the first place...lol

I prefer to do everything in CWM manually and was reluctant, at first to even update to the new touch-based version, but I like it.

With that being said, there are still some settings in CWM that I rarely use and don't really understand.

One of them is MOUNT SYSTEM. When you select it, it will immediately change to UNMOUNT SYSTEM

I believe this setting is located under Advanced Settings or under another menu...and since I am still backing stuff up, I can't get into CWM at the moment :)

Someone once said that they always MOUNT SYSTEM when installing any mod or ROM "for good measure," so I started doing it to, and it hasn't caused any damage, but may not have helped anything either.

Like I said, if my list of steps is missing things or has too many, let me know :)

I appreciate your help.

You want to format system. This mounts system, formats it, then unmounts it.

Your other steps are correct.

Aokp b36 to 37 you can do just cache and dalvik wipe, but if you encounter bugs first thing to do is a clean install data wipe included.

One rom to another, like aokp to cm9, will pretty much always require a data wipe and cache dalvik wipe.

As for getting everything set up, I agree abt nova settings being a great help, and tib is an excellent resource to get your apps back if the Google restore doesn't work or is incomplete.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmmarck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkhihe