Question Google 15gb allowance almost used

RocketScience

Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
Hi. As above. I followed a video on YouTube to create another account due nearly maxing out my 15GB Google allowance. I backed up to that account then partner shared with my original account to see the photos. The video would lead you to believe that this would have emptied my original account and freed space which is nonsense.

In addition in the new account I can only see the last 3 years of photos out of a total of 6 years of backed up photos .
I can still see all of photos in my original account. Can anyone advise on why my backup has failed so miserably?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think I saw an article about that recently, but I wouldn't trust that to work well. Creating an entirely different Google account just to get an additional 15 GB of space will cause this kind of confusion with access. In addition, if you start using the new account for anything else (like email, calendar events, etc.), you'll inevitably run into further confusion. I would recommend paying for a higher storage plan instead.

I think the reason why you're only seeing the last 3 years of photos on the new account is that your phone knows the first 3 years are already backed up somewhere.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is just me, but to have maxed out 15GB with photos and videos...I think other solutions need to be evaluated. I get being a shutterbug and all, but that much means that you should either invest in larger storage from Google so that you don't lose access, OR a computer (desktop or laptop).

With the PC option: you can go to Google Takeout and you can request a copy of all your photos. This may take some time, and you will get them in chunks compressed to zip files. You can then store them on your PC with a backup hard drive.

The extra storage option: You could temporarily get a large plan and then chip away at what's in Photos. My guess is there are a lot of shots that don't really need to be in there. You could also remove videos and put them on a different Cloud Account (Box, etc.)

Another option could be looking at a Plex server. I don't know much about them, so this would be a big undertaking regarding research and may be out of the question.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another option that I just thought of is perhaps a Network Attached Storage (NAS). I think you can access them outside your home, but this is another thing that I don't know that much about. This is a much more straightforward setup.

I have been looking a little into both, but I cannot reliably give good information on either option.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Another option that I just thought of is perhaps a Network Attached Storage (NAS). I think you can access them outside your home, but this is another thing that I don't know that much about. This is a much more straightforward setup.

I have been looking a little into both, but I cannot reliably give good information on either option.
Another even cheaper option is just get a USB drive any carry it on their keychain. One USB thumb drive will pay for itself over the monthly fee in a year (or if you get one on sale 6 months) and still have more storage with a 512GB stick.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Another even cheaper option is just get a USB drive any carry it on their keychain. One USB thumb drive will pay for itself over the monthly fee in a year (or if you get one on sale 6 months) and still have more storage with a 512GB stick.
Do all devices support USB OTG? I haven't used it in years, so I'm unfamiliar with which devices support it nowadays.