Google assistant keeps crashing - started Jan 25th

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi all.
As of Jan 25, Google assistant is continuously crashing when I try to open it and shows the error "Goggle keeps stopping" (pic below). I tried clearing cache and reinstalling. Tried safe mode & clearing cache there as well, along with some other 'tricks' found on the net. Nothing seems to work so far. any ideas? I also sent feedback to help.

Side note (perhaps related, but not the issue noted above): Google is really beginning to suck over the past year. My Google home has had issues for the past 9 months and Google support is absolutely horrible!!! I have an email chain over 9 months long and have more issues now than when I first contacted them and they still have not fixed the original issue. To make things worse and even more annoying, more issues continue to surface. I'm about ready to toss Google home and try out Amazon's Alexa... or just go without.... I don't understand why since when I first installed Google home about 2 years ago, it worked really well, but now it's more of a PITA than it's worth. Anyway... appreciate any help with getting at least the Google assistant working.... maybe next time I just buy an Apple instead... my wife very rarely has issues with her iPhone.

error.png

Last edited:

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi Bla1ze,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I saw that as a last resort when searching for a solution. I will reserve that option for the very last for many reasons... 1) This is a brand new Samsung S21 that I just set up this phone 3 weeks ago, so it should not be malfunctioning already. It was working fine until a few days ago - so that's seriously suspect of an update issue given there were no other changes other than some app updates from Google play. 2) It takes almost 2 full days to setup and configure my phone given the it's uses, so that option is not an easy nor practical one. 3) One would hope there must be other options that don't require such drastic measures before resorting to a complete reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you on the January Google Play system update? (Go to Settings>Security​ and tap Google Play system update there.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Go to Google app long press it then tap info>storage tap>clear data then force stop and retest. If same
Long press Google app and go same direction except upper right corner tap 3 dots uninstall the update and recheck dont let play store automatically update it and possibly reboot the device

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Go to Google app long press it then tap info>storage tap>clear data then force stop and retest. If same
Long press Google app and go same direction except upper right corner tap 3 dots uninstall the update and recheck dont let play store automatically update it and possibly reboot the device

So, I had already cleared the cache but it did not work. However, it does not let me force stop it, and that is why I tried safe mode, but I can't force stop it there either (but I did clear the cache again in safe mode). So, in short, I cleared the cache but it won't allow me to force stop it.

I tried your 2nd suggestions, and I have the option to uninstall but then it warns "Replace this app with the factory version? All data will be removed." << the second part of that stops me. What data will it delete? I don't want to have to reset all my google accounts/info again if I don't have to... but if I do... I will. Do you know what data it deletes ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So, I had already cleared the cache but it did not work. However, it does not let me force stop it, and that is why I tried safe mode, but I can't force stop it there either (but I did clear the cache again in safe mode). So, in short, I cleared the cache but it won't allow me to force stop it.

I tried your 2nd suggestions, and I have the option to uninstall but then it warns "Replace this app with the factory version? All data will be removed." << the second part of that stops me. What data will it delete? I don't want to have to reset all my google accounts/info again if I don't have to... but if I do... I will. Do you know what data it deletes ?
It will repopulate the data again no personal stuff will be erased , same goes for clear data then force stop , clearing cache is not going help for app crashing

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
It will repopulate the data again no personal stuff will be erased , same goes for clear data then force stop , clearing cache is not going help for app crashing

Awesome, that worked.. however, it did not give me the option to "and recheck dont let play store automatically update it".

So, I checked the playstore and it shows the Google update. So I tested and did the update again and sure enough the assistant crashes, just as was expected. So, how can I prevent it from updating when there was no option to check ?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Try turning off automatically update apps in the Play Store. It will mean manually updating your apps every so often but should stop it auto updating.

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Try turning off automatically update apps in the Play Store. It will mean manually updating your apps every so often but should stop it auto updating.

Great thank you Kizzy! I can manually update for now and hope they release a new google update that fixes the current one!! Problem solved...well at least with a workable solution!

And thank you mustang7757 .... You should get paid better than the Google support reps without a doubt. Your response time is excellent and you actually solve the issues instead of skirting them!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Great thank you Kizzy! I can manually update for now and hope they release a new google update that fixes the current one!! Problem solved...well at least with a workable solution!

And thank you mustang7757 .... You should get paid better than the Google support reps without a doubt. Your response time is excellent and you actually solve the issues instead of skirting them!
Your welcome , glad i could help
You can either stop plsy store from automatically updating apps in its settings or go to the app in play store pull up Google app then 3 dots upper right corner tap, uncheck auto update

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So write that version down the bug one in a note to compare next time u see a update for Google app if its a higher version then update to that one

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Your welcome , glad i could help
You can either stop plsy store from automatically updating apps in its settings or go to the app in play store pull up Google app then 3 dots upper right corner tap, uncheck auto update

That's even better! Thanks for pointing out the option just to turn off the auto update for just the Google app! Dude I will most certainly buy you a beer (or the drink of your choice) - seriously! And I'll be happy to buy you lunch if you solve my other problem that you already know about! Just let me know how you want to collect. Thanks again

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's even better! Thanks for pointing out the option just to turn off the auto update for just the Google app! Dude I will most certainly buy you a beer (or the drink of your choice) - seriously! And I'll be happy to buy you lunch if you solve my other problem that you already know about! Just let me know how you want to collect. Thanks again
I appreciate that
Im here to help out so no need but Thank You!
Whats the other issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae