Google does not honor Pixel warranty

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If that's the case, I'm surprised the warranty info both you and I linked doesn't reflect that. Without having an official written statement, it looks like the original one year warranty is still applicable.

I can 100% vouch that the warranty was extended to 2 years - I just had my device replaced (old one is still sitting here), I bought it in late December 2017 or early January 2018.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
was the phone sent in for google to decide whether or not to fix or replace? they are not going to replace a phone because a customer said something was broken. the following is from the pixel 2 xl original warranty. the warranty was extended to two years.

If a defect arises and you return your Phone during the Limited Warranty period (which is one year for new devices and ninety days for refurbished devices), Google will in its sole discretion and to the extent permitted by law either repair your Phone using new or refurbished parts, replace your Phone with a new or refurbished...

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
was the phone sent in for google to decide whether or not to fix or replace?

ME? I did the advance replacement. In fact - I even kept trying the feature (NFC) and finally ended up with it working. When I reported this to Google, they told me I had the choice to keep the replacement that had just arrived or send it back and keep using my original device.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Took a peek into this - was hoping to see a ray of sunshine for you. Unfortunately, Google's relevant Pixel 2 XL Warranty declaration seems unambiguous:

Google warrants that a new Phone and its included accessories will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use in accordance with Google’s published user documentation for one year from the date of original retail purchase in its original packaging by you.

The inclusion of "by you" narrows their obligation so that only the original purchaser has the right to demand warranty service (unless, as later stipulated, your State has specific consumer laws that afford exception). They did, as you noted, later officially extend the warranty term on the 2 and 2 XL, but that only extended the duration of the warranty term, with no modification to other terms such as how or for whom warranty coverage is provided.

As to what numerous reps may have said to you...

No employee or representative of Google or its affiliates or any third party is authorized to make any modification, extension or addition to this Limited Warranty.

...Google's representatives' statements, correct or incorrect, cannot be used to hold Google accountable to providing any services outside of those outlined in the governing warranty, regardless of how they may have occasionally elected to handle similar instances in the past. In your shoes, I'd try to seek an empathetic exception from a supervisor, noting that the spirit of the warranty as expressed to you by the employees should be followed, even if the letter of it doesn't mandate it - but it sounds like you've had no luck going that route.

While no longer an issue for you, in regards to the 'blacklisting,' Good to hear it was removed, but, if my distant recollection of how that worked some 10+ years ago was an remains true, Google wouldn't have been the only one able to blacklist your IMEI - any wireless provider that had previously provided service associated with that IMEI wherein that associated account had defaulted on payment may have been able to take such an action.

Very unfortunate circumstance, as the camera is one of the greatest aspects of the phone. If you're willing to forego assured warranty coverage with secondhand phones in the future, you might want to try Swappa, which is less filled with vermin sellers.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I can 100% vouch that the warranty was extended to 2 years - I just had my device replaced (old one is still sitting here), I bought it in late December 2017 or early January 2018.

I'm curios, what problems were you having with your old phone?
I had to reset mine last week, this morning I thought I was going to have to do it again but it did fire up.
I'm starting to lose faith in it, crossing my fingers every morning when I turn it on.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm curios, what problems were you having with your old phone?
I had to reset mine last week, this morning I thought I was going to have to do it again but it did fire up.
I'm starting to lose faith in it, crossing my fingers every morning when I turn it on.

I was experiencing some issues with NFC working properly for Google Pay. It actually started working on the day the replacement arrived but they still let me swap it.