Question Google Home Mini

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
We have a Google Home Mini that we have only occasionally used over the years (questions about movies, weather, recipes, silly questions, etc.). Nothing really exciting. I have a new phone & decided to connect the Mini to it.

I need to find & go over the Mini's instructions, but I did get my phone to 'see' the Mini.

1. When I open the Google Home app on my phone, I see the screen in picture 1.
1.jpg

2. When I tap 'Living Room speaker', I see the screen in picture 2.
2.jpg

3. When on the apps 1st screen & I tap 'Automations', I see the screen in picture 3.
3.jpg

My question:
How do I delete these automatically created Personal Routines?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I found this question from Reddit a year ago that says there is no way to remove the pre-made routines.

Same here in an article that goes back 3 years.

Then there is this thread in the Google Nest Community boards asking this question. In typical no help fashion reps go round and round repeating already answered questions and providing no help whatsoever.

It appears the short answer is no, they cannot be removed.

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I found this question from Reddit a year ago that says there is no way to remove the pre-made routines.

Same here in an article that goes back 3 years.

Then there is this thread in the Google Nest Community boards asking this question. In typical no help fashion reps go round and round repeating already answered questions and providing no help whatsoever.

It appears the short answer is no, they cannot be removed.
Thanks for the reply & all the links.

It figures Google wouldn't let users delete routines that Google themselves created.
I'm probably going to uninstall the Home app, all we have is the Google Home Mini which I don't think can do much on its own anyway.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I too have a Home Mini. Said I wasn't going to get it but got one after hearing a story somewhere about a quirky thing that some users were experiencing and found one for the right price. Super cheap. LOL.

Like you we basically ask it questions, what is the exchange rate of the yen in U.S. dollars, what is the difference between an internship and externship, and is either by nature paid or unpaid. FYI the last one was a real question and follow-up. The mini said it didn't understand the question and instead offered to tell us whether the roommate with the larger room should pay more, because splitting bills is totally the same thing as working a job for money or for free.

It seems like it should be related to Assistant in more ways than just listening to everything you say but it is way dumber. For instance if I wake Assistant and ask to see pics of puppies in a field, the mini will take over and proceed to tell me that it cannot display images and that I should use a different device. Even though I was trying to use a different device before it stole the question. Anyway in short it doesn't do the follow up as well as Assistant even though it is connected to the interwebs and I don't know why?

If this is your only home device I can see where it alone doesn't offer much. Home is an ecosystem thing like Apple products. If you're all in and use their stuff things seem to click but if not, no click, no connect, no function. Did I mention that I only got it because it was cheap?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

huckk

May 29, 2024
Visit site
They're good for what you're describing and they're dirt cheap when you get them on sale. If you want to listen to music too I'd jump right up to a Nest Audio. They're not much more (again, when they're on sale), pretty much function the same, but the difference in sound is night and day.

Reactions: rvbfan

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
They're good for what you're describing and they're dirt cheap when you get them on sale. If you want to listen to music too I'd jump right up to a Nest Audio. They're not much more (again, when they're on sale), pretty much function the same, but the difference in sound is night and day.
I wouldn't touch a Google Mini with a 10 foot pole. I'm waiting for Google to announce how it somehow cripples their infrastructure and will block them from connecting to the Home App in 2025 instructing people to use a Nest Mini (nothing more than a Gen 2 Home) just for that to be replaced with a 'Pixel Home Speak/Puck' coming soon.

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
We won our Home Mini in a contest from Target, I'm not sure we would have bought one otherwise.
It's still a fun little speaker to have & does answer our questions (some real-world & some silliness).

Also comes up w/some strange & funny answers that crack us up :LOL: 🤣.

• Haha
Reactions: VidJunky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlegHelg