Google killing 2.3 update, skipping to 2.4. "Rumor"

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like Google may be wanting manufacturers to wait and not release 2.3 "Gingerbread" and instead wait for 2.4 "Gingerbread". Reason being is because it supports dual-core. So looks like we may be waiting for an update till April. Even though my sources at Sprint have said that 2.3 is coming to the EVO. I'm guessing this is recent and they are making them wait.

Android 2.4 coming April; Google Kills 2.3 Gingerbread Update | Androidheadlines.com

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for keeping us up -to- date. Hopefully, us poor non -rooted users will have a chance at making our great phone even better...and avoiding new phone envy this summer. Lol

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for keeping us up -to- date. Hopefully, us poor non -rooted users will have a chance at making our great phone even better...and avoiding new phone envy this summer. Lol

Honestly if your really wanting Gingerbread without Sense. Then rooting and adding ROM's is a very very easy thing. There are so many solid Gingerbread ROM's out there.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
ROM's is a very very easy thing. There are so many solid Gingerbread ROM's out there.
REALLY. And bricking is even easier. Lol.

Wow....what a horrible evening all the way around on the Sprint front._
In what way? Sprint first dual-core phone. How's that horrible? Watching a video on one screen, while.playing another or browsing the web on the other... How awesome is that.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
REALLY. And bricking is even easier. Lol.

In what way? Sprint first dual-core phone. How's that horrible? Watching a video on one screen, while.playing another or browsing the web on the other... How awesome is that.

Yet bricking doesn't mean it's a dead device. It's another simple task to restore it. ;)

You mean Dual-Screen? lol :D The Echo has the same Snapdragon single-core chip the EVO 4G does.

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Believe me, I would love to root and have the fun all of you are having with your Evos. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I know the second I root, something will happen to the phone and my insurance claim will be denied. I know the phone can be unrooted, but there still appear to be no fail-safe way for Sprint to not find out. (ie superuser icon still shows up, etc). :-\

ernbrdn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Believe me, I would love to root and have the fun all of you are having with your Evos. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I know the second I root, something will happen to the phone and my insurance claim will be denied. I know the phone can be unrooted, but there still appear to be no fail-safe way for Sprint to not find out. (ie superuser icon still shows up, etc). :-\

If you follow the 2 step Simple unrooting thread over on XDA the icon is gone, everything is gone and your phone is back to stock. The only tell tale signs of the root would be if someone looked on your SD card and saw the Titanium Backup folder, or the SOff file that is placed there for some reason, or maybe your nandroid backup placed in a inconspicuous folder titled ClockworkMod, lol. Of course when your phone is being checked out by a sprint tech I don't think he really has any buisness poking around on your SD cards, I always remove mine.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like Google may be wanting manufacturers to wait and not release 2.3 "Gingerbread" and instead wait for 2.4 "Gingerbread". Reason being is because it supports dual-core. So looks like we may be waiting for an update till April. Even though my sources at Sprint have said that 2.3 is coming to the EVO. I'm guessing this is recent and they are making them wait.

Android 2.4 coming April; Google Kills 2.3 Gingerbread Update | Androidheadlines.com

DEFINITELY a rumor that is completely baseless.

Phone are already released with 2.3.1 (Nexus S) or will imminently be released with 2.3 (Galaxy S2).

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Insurance claims via Asurion don't get affected by rooting. Only Manufacturers warranty does. So if you have TEP insurance you only risk $100 for the deductible. (and as others have stated, it's actually pretty hard to FUBAR an Evo via rooting it.)

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Insurance claims via Asurion don't get affected by rooting. Only Manufacturers warranty does. So if you have TEP insurance you only risk $100 for the deductible. (and as others have stated, it's actually pretty hard to FUBAR an Evo via rooting it.)

Thanks! I will research... looks like my weekend just got reserved! NFL season is over anyway. LOL

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
DEFINITELY a rumor that is completely baseless.

Phone are already released with 2.3.1 (Nexus S) or will imminently be released with 2.3 (Galaxy S2).

These words came from Google themselves. So even though the Nexus S already has this, it seems as other devices that were waiting in line for 2.3 will now probably wait for 2.4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaibh