Google Maps (auto read issue)

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
This has been a problem on both my Pixel 2XL and 6 Pro so I'm guessing it's an app problem. When I'm in driving mode, I can't find a way to increase the volume when it's reading texts to me. The navigation volume has 3 different sound level options but those don't seem to carry over the auto read volume. The headache this causes is that I can't hear the voice so I have to turn my radio up but doing that makes the music resume playing, on top and louder than the text volume. Anyone else noticed this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure -- the text audio is definitely playing on the car stereo, and not coming from the phone speakers, right?

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Just to be sure -- the text audio is definitely playing on the car stereo, and not coming from the phone speakers, right?
Correct. While I'm driving, everything is going through my car speakers. I can increase and decrease nav volume in maps but it doesn't affect the volume it reads out texts to me.

Let's just say on a volume scale of 1-10, my music will be playing at a 7. When a nav instruction comes though it pulls music down to like a 3 and the instructions are at a 7 and then pulls the music back up to a 7 after. When I get a text, it pauses the song but then the read aloud volume is only about a 4. I can't hear it over the road noise in my car at that volume so I turn the volume up but doing that unpauses my music which is now at a 9 after being turned up while it's continuing to read the text at a 5 or 6. Can't make out any of the message at that point.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used my phone this way in a while, so can you clarify -- is Driving Mode the same as Android Auto? Of not, what if you use the Android Auto interface while driving?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I haven't used my phone this way in a while, so can you clarify -- is Driving Mode the same as Android Auto? Of not, what if you use the Android Auto interface while driving?
Driving mode silence texts and calls so u can concentrate, well at least I remember Att version

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Driving mode silence texts and calls so u can concentrate, well at least I remember Att version
Correct. It turns on your "do not disturb" setting so you don't get notifications but you can still have Google assistant read aloud your incoming texts. From what I remember about the few times I used Android Auto, Driving Mode seems to be the same thing.

I use it daily to and from work to give me a heads up on speed traps and traffic congestion. It's about a 25 mile drive each way so it's definitely a help.

Fun fact, that 25 mile drive doesn't even completely cross city limits bc OKC is one of the largest cities in the nation as far as land mass. My drive is only from the edge of city limits to downtown.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
These are the only settings related to Driving Mode. I just can't see why the navigation volume would be any different than the read aloud volume.
100329ab896e6e3cf4b61bc014094cb4.jpg
857798717bfb221d10bc5fd6637b70e7.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Correct. It turns on your "do not disturb" setting so you don't get notifications but you can still have Google assistant read aloud your incoming texts. From what I remember about the few times I used Android Auto, Driving Mode seems to be the same thing.

I use it daily to and from work to give me a heads up on speed traps and traffic congestion. It's about a 25 mile drive each way so it's definitely a help.

Fun fact, that 25 mile drive doesn't even completely cross city limits bc OKC is one of the largest cities in the nation as far as land mass. My drive is only from the edge of city limits to downtown.
Yeah remember some of it when I tried back in the day and like crippled most things

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I didn't notice it was locked at first. It's not even that old of a thread!
Oh, bc technically is under Android Auto which is now obsolete... It seems the issue started there and just carried over to Driving Mode and they locked the thread instead of actually answering it.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I seem to actually be getting somewhere with my post. Someone tried to help and has escalated it to a Community Manager.