Google Photos- How to Separate Photos From Screenshots?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Galaxy a51
I take a lot of screenshots. However, I only want my actual pictures I've taken on my camera to be backed up on the Google Photos cloud, not the screenshots. My problem is that both the photos I take and the screenshots by default go into the same "camera" folder on my device. This means I have to manually remove the screenshots from that folder into one that does not get backed up. This is not efficient and hasn't worked 100%. So how would I get my screenshots to automatically go into a separate "screenshot" folder that doesn't get backed up, separated from the photos I take from my camera? Thanks.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. In Samsung phones Screenshots is a sub-folder under DCIM (usually reserved just for the Camera) instead of being part of Pictures. This makes that Google Photos can't separate the sub-folder and will upload the screenshots in there. Unfortunately there's not much you can do until Samsung change that path.

I recommend you to create an account so you can reply on this thread.

Screenshot_20220807-144346_Solid Explorer.jpg

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Google photos should already separate them. They do on my wife's A71 and my Pixel6 anyway.
b55ce4eef01b8d8c05b0afdcbf033c67.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Google photos should already separate them. They do on my wife's A71 and my Pixel6 anyway.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220807/b55ce4eef01b8d8c05b0afdcbf033c67.jpg
It's different in Pixels, and many other brands, since the screenshots are saved with a different path. You can see this using a file explorer. Is your wife using Google Photos or Samsung Gallery? With Samsung Gallery and other apps like Simple you can see the screenshots separated. The same problem still persists, Google Photos will upload them as part of the DCIM/Camera folder.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Javier Right, Google photos doesn't separate them they will all be back up to photos not itemized folders , for OP search screenshot in google photos then select all to delete probably be easiest way