Google Pixel 2- "Today's Special" full screen popup ads multiple times daily

pdenton20

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
I have uninstalled almost every unneeded app I can think of. This started out of the blue, I don't remember downloading any apps or visiting any questionable sites during the time leading up to this. I downloaded a security app and it scanned all my apps and said there was no malware. If you hit the home button, it just disappears. However, if you hit the button in the bottom right, beside the home button, that allows you to view all open apps then it's there and you can see it. It is actually some type of spam app. The app is called "Today's Special". Obviously it doesn't show up in my apps and I can't find any mention of it anywhere. Does anyone have any experience with this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You may just have to keep uninstalling apps. Or back up/sync all of your important data, and do a factory reset. When you set the phone up again, make sure it doesn't automatically reinstall your previous apps.

I also moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum, since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

pdenton20

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You may just have to keep uninstalling apps. Or back up/sync all of your important data, and do a factory reset. When you set the phone up again, make sure it doesn't automatically reinstall your previous apps.

I also moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum, since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Yea sorry about that. First time. But I am trying to not have to do a factory reset. Had some bad experiences. Trying to use it as a last ditch effort

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Me? No, I did not notice that.
I found "AdChoice" and through that I set 35 out of 36 things to OFF. 36th was AdBrain, I'm still working on that.
No full size ads since. If it matters this is a Pixel XL.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Was the app doing yours also called Today's Special?
Welcome to the forums. Try this, open the recent apps overview, search for that Today's Special card, long press the small icon top left on the card, tap the 'info' icon and see which app it opens.