Google Pixel XL suddenly going black screen and locking up

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Within the last 2 days, I've had my Pixel XL completely freezes up, the screen becomes black, and the phone becomes totally non-responsive. I'm then forced with only being able to hold down the power button until it forces a reset on the phone.

I'm on 7.1.1 and I'm not running any system mods of any kind and 90% standard Google apps and apps by the major players, i.e. Netflix, Amazon, etc.

I think it's primarily happening when running multi-window. In one instance, one of the apps said that multi-window may not be supported or that the app may not behave properly in multi-window, but I can't remember if that happened in both instances.

Has anyone else noticed this? I haven't gone through support yet.

Last edited:

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Within the last 2 days, I've had my Pixel XL completely freezes up, the screen becomes black, and the phone becomes totally non-responsive. I'm then forced with only being able to hold down the power button until it forces a reset on the phone.

I'm on 7.1.1 and I'm not running any system mods of any kind and 90% standard Google apps and apps by the major players, i.e. Netflix, Amazon, etc.

I think it's primarily happening when running multi-window. In one instance, one of the apps said that multi-window may not be supported or that the app may not behave properly in multi-window, but I can't remember if that happened in both instances.

Has anyone else noticed this? I haven't gone through support yet.

Mine went black and never went back. Had to order a replacement. No issues prior to the freeze up and no issues with my replacement. I love my phone. Good luck with yours. No tips other than a factory reset and manually load apps until you figure out if that's causing it.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Could be defective unit or the 7.1.1 update went haywire.

Try factory resetting the device and install your 3rd party apps one by one if you can and test the phone for a while after every app, just to make sure it's not an app causing the issue. Otherwise contact your point of sale and ask for a repair/replacementt.

fiddell

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
It just happened to my Verizon Pixel XL. I went to use it and it was dead and I knew it still had plenty of battery. I tried charging and nothing was happening so I did what I would do for a soft reset I was able to get it going again.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This has been happening with my Pixel and it's my third exchange. Something is definitely wrong here but no one really knows why or how or what.

I get random reboots and there is no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it'll reboot multiple times a day, other times, once every couple of days. I've rebooted into Safe Mode and have had it reboot, I've factory reset, I've cleared cache, I've cross checked my apps with my other Android devices (none of them reboot).

Something is amiss with either Pixel hardware or 7.1.1 software.

I've also had the screen freeze up and people on the other end not hearing my calls sometimes.

There are threads talking about this over at XDA and no real solution yet. I may have to return my Pixel for good until this is sorted out.

OP, you're not alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timboe