google play edition phone's Failed*

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
*GOOGLE PLAY EDITION PHONES FAIL*
When the nexus 7 2013 was announced at the google's conference android 4.3 was introduce. Virtual surround sound, restricted profiles, trim support, open GL ES 3.0, bluetooth 4.0 was more or less under the hood features you can come to expect from it. Once Google was done glorifying it's latest tablet, i said to my self ok GEP(Google edition phones) time to see if you will receive updates in timely manner, like the nexus line. And man am i so glad i didn't spend my hard earned money on one these nexus wanna-be's. It makes absolutely no sense to spend $600+ on one of these when you can cut that price in half and get a phone with comparable specs, that receive updates when they release. There's no excuse, even the galaxy-nexus which is even older than the GEP's received the update in time. Sorry GEP owners i'd just stick with a nexus!

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
When the nexus 7 2013 was announced at the google's conference android 4.3 was introduce. Virtual surround sound, restricted profiles, trim support, open GL ES 3.0, bluetooth 4.0 was more or less under the hood features you can come to expect from it. Once Google was done glorifying it's latest tablet, i said to my self ok GEP(Google edition phones) time to see if you will receive updates in timely manner, like the nexus line. And man am i so glad i didn't spend my hard earned money on one these nexus wanna-be's. It makes absolutely no sense to spend $600+ on one of these when you can cut that price in half and get a phone with comparable specs, that receive updates when they release. There's no excuse, even the galaxy-nexus which is even older than the GEP's received the update in time. Sorry GEP owners i'd just stick with a nexus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=navPos9JOfU

Relax it's been a week. These devices were never called Nexus devices for a reason. I'm not sure why a thread like this is started. Do you just need to validate your N4 as being better than other phones? The N4 is great but what is also great is a HTC ONE running stock android and getting very timely updates with no carrier involvement, or a GS4 with the same perks. If you felt it was a waste of money to purchase a GPE device that's great, but others purchased them and will be running 4.3 shortly while the carrier versions won't get it for months if at all.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Relax it's been a week. These devices were never called Nexus devices for a reason. I'm not sure why a thread like this is started. Do you just need to validate your N4 as being better than other phones? The N4 is great but what is also great is a HTC ONE running stock android and getting very timely updates with no carrier involvement, or a GS4 with the same perks. If you felt it was a waste of money to purchase a GPE device that's great, but others purchased them and will be running 4.3 shortly while the carrier versions won't get it for months if at all.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Well I'd like to start off saying I own the regular GS4. I'm not a owner of the N4. And to be clear I'm sure I'll get 4.3 update on my phone sometime in the future... But as a skinned device owner I'm not looking for this update anytime soon... Because I know my phone is not a stock android experience. For google to release stock phones of Samsung and HTC you'd expect updates to release with the nexus line seeing as how it's not controlled by the carrier. But this stock experience is not worth its price tag due to the fact that android 5.0 will probably come sometime late on down the line while the other stock experience *cough* nexus *cough* will enjoy these benefits at half the price!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a N4 and an One. What kind of drugs are you on? You seriously make no sense at all.

Posted via Android Central App

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Smh I guess only those with half a mind understand what I'm saying.... I'll say no more and leave others to think what they want... Every one is entitled to his or her opinion... So there is no right or wrong here

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
To the OP, the main flaw with your reasoning is that these "google edition" phones are NOT updated directly by Google like Nexus devices. Google didn't mess up here. You should probably have researched that before your video because it's pretty well known at this point. Because Samsung and HTC have both tweaked the OS slightly to take advantage of specific things in their smartphones (Beats Audio, Flip Covers, etc.) the kernels are actually different and are provided by Samsung and HTC - NOT Google. This means that the Google Edition phones have to still wait for Google to release, then for Samsung/HTC to tweak slightly and then update. Given that 4.3 came out yesterday (only a week after Nexus devices got it) that's a pretty good win for the Google Edition devices. If you can't wait a week then, well... learn patience. It's very likely that the S4 won't see 4.3 until spring/summer of next year at the earliest and the HTC One likely never will given HTC's upgrade history. They still haven't even released 4.2 yet in the states so that says a lot.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I fail to see how the GPe devices are a FAILURE at all. They arrived unlocked, received an update to the latest OS withing 10 days of its launch plus you have to consider NOT all Nexus 4 owners are on 4.3 yet since it is a staged rollout and some of those owners are having issues with their phones after the update.

I converted my DE 64GB so I paid $649 for an awesome unlocked phone (sold my GS4 after a month) I actually prefer the sound of the HTC One, not sure I will stick with it, get something else in the coming months or wait for Samsung or others to roll out a new GPe device with 5.0.

The point is the phones are not a failure, if you got what you wanted and paid for.

rudyy50

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the phone, and it came with 4.2.2 installed.

Sent from my HTC One GPe

Attachments

• 1375560173838.jpg
    1375560173838.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 40

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Smh I guess only those with half a mind understand what I'm saying.... I'll say no more and leave others to think what they want... Every one is entitled to his or her opinion... So there is no right or wrong here

Your original post doesn't carry this sentiment. When you said "It makes absolutely no sense to spend $600+ on one of these when you can cut that price in half and get a phone with comparable specs, that receive updates when they release", the word "absolutely" implies that there is no room for any other consideration of the statement that follows. I wouldn't call the GPE phones failures, and I am one that was so disappointed with my experience that I returned mine. I recognize that some people got the phone that they wanted, while I didn't.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=navPos9JOfU

What part of "Google Edition" sounds like "Nexus" to you?

By the way, the GS4 and One far outclass the Nexus 4. Comparable specs? LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thicha Jairat