Google should buy Palm

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't see it happening. They mention "Google needs a hardware company"
I don't know if these people read the news, but the Pre and Pixi are pieces of ****aki mushrooms! Google needs Palm just like I need Herpes. Just let Palm die already, a former Pre owner will have a grin when that happens :)

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't see that Palm has much to offer to Google or anyone else.

Low sales, no buzz, nothing really unique on the hardware side and Google does not need/want another OS.

I see Palm winding down slowly and fading into the night.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't see that Palm has much to offer to Google or anyone else.

Low sales, no buzz, nothing really unique on the hardware side and Google does not need/want another OS.

I see Palm winding down slowly and fading into the night.

True, but as the article states, buying Palm would give Google some lucrative patents that Palm currently holds. That may be a strong point if this Apple v. HTC patent lawsuit gets ugly. Google would have a fair amount of ammo with Palm's patents under their belt should Apple decide to pull them into the litigation. The sales and hardware are really just fluff, while the patents would be the real meat and potatoes of the deal.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
True, but as the article states, buying Palm would give Google some lucrative patents that Palm currently holds. That may be a strong point if this Apple v. HTC patent lawsuit gets ugly. Google would have a fair amount of ammo with Palm's patents under their belt should Apple decide to pull them into the litigation. The sales and hardware are really just fluff, while the patents would be the real meat and potatoes of the deal.

Correct, so then you just wait as they continue to flounder and the value of their business continues to decline. There's no point in buying now if the value of the company continues to decline.

What might be smarter (since Google doesn't actually need Palm's hardware or OS) is to do a cross-licensing patent deal.

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Correct, so then you just wait as they continue to flounder and the value of their business continues to decline. There's no point in buying now if the value of the company continues to decline.

What might be smarter (since Google doesn't actually need Palm's hardware or OS) is to do a cross-licensing patent deal.

If Palm continues to fade they will likely be willing to sell the company or license patents at fire sale prices. Google may be waiting to see if they can get a better deal in the next year or two.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Google needs Palm, but they definitely need to stop using HTC. Maybe they should just get further in bed with Moto or spend some of their billions on creating Google Hardware Labs .

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
If Google doesn't get them, Apple will, and then effectively will own all the patents. Which jeopardizes all of us. When Apple first threatened to sue Palm as the Pre was rolling out, they stopped in their tracks. Palm owned more of the patents that Apple did! That still keeps Apple from suing most folks. So it's really more in Apple's interest to buy Palm...and the hardware doesn't suck, btw. Their strategy is all that sucked. They went with arguably the worst of the phone companies with a one year exclusive, forcing their VZW customers to wait...while Moto built the Droid. Duh. So *poof* goes another one.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site

Then why shouldn't HTC buy Palm? They're a hardware company. They're the ones getting sued. It would let HTC have their own OS to make smartphones, in addition to Android. Plus, I'm drooling at the thought of an HD2/N1 with WebOS.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Then why shouldn't HTC buy Palm? They're a hardware company. They're the ones getting sued. It would let HTC have their own OS to make smartphones, in addition to Android. Plus, I'm drooling at the thought of an HD2/N1 with WebOS.

WebOS is inherently limited. Palm acts as though that whole idea of a widget based OS is new but it isn't iPhone tried that with their 1.0 product. I don't really see WebOS having much of a future as a standalone product. It's fast and a novelty, but once people get used to it even most fanboys get frustrated by the limitations.

By purchasing Palm, Google would not only beef up their patent library, but could then implement the best parts of WebOS into Android, giving us the best of both worlds.. :)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If Google doesn't get them, Apple will, and then effectively will own all the patents. Which jeopardizes all of us. When Apple first threatened to sue Palm as the Pre was rolling out, they stopped in their tracks. Palm owned more of the patents that Apple did! That still keeps Apple from suing most folks. So it's really more in Apple's interest to buy Palm...and the hardware doesn't suck, btw. Their strategy is all that sucked. They went with arguably the worst of the phone companies with a one year exclusive, forcing their VZW customers to wait...while Moto built the Droid. Duh. So *poof* goes another one.

1. It was a six month exclusive, not a year.
2. Yes the Pre hardware sucks. Verizon version is only slightly more sturdy than the Sprint version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufian