Google Voice voicemails not playing through Hangouts

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I use Hangouts for text, voicemail and chat integration. It seems that ever since the last Google Voice update, I can no longer playback voicemails in Hangouts. I have the feature enabled inside GV to use Hangouts for voicemails, and I can see the messages within Hangouts, however when I attempt to play them I get an "unable to load" message. I've tried clearing data in Hangouts, but that didn't solve the problem. The messages play fine within the Google voice app.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or know a solution?

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Hangouts for work voicemail, not Google voice, but I get the message all the time. Luckily it transcribes, though poorly, and I have a callback number.
It's done this for years for me. I have given up trying to find a fix and I refuse to pay Verizon for visual voicemail that everyone else has for free.

msugrad598

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I use Hangouts for text, voicemail and chat integration. It seems that ever since the last Google Voice update, I can no longer playback voicemails in Hangouts. I have the feature enabled inside GV to use Hangouts for voicemails, and I can see the messages within Hangouts, however when I attempt to play them I get an "unable to load" message. I've tried clearing data in Hangouts, but that didn't solve the problem. The messages play fine within the Google voice app.

The new Google Voice app is great compared to the old one. I stopped using Hangouts.

xvtsai

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I have this problem all the time

Last edited by a moderator:

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Found this in a Google Product forum....force quit the Hangouts app, re-open, and the voicemail will load and play.

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
However, it doesn't much matter at this point. Google has found a way to make Hangouts systematically worse over time. First, merged conversations were taken away completely (rather than making it a user option). Last night, I was informed that SMS was no longer being supported. As indicated above, Google Voice messages no longer play through this app (at least for me). So, my one stop shop for Hangouts chat, Google voice SMS, carrier SMS and voicemail has turned into a Hangouts chat app only with the same functionality as AOL instant messenger from 15 years ago. Congratulations Google. If my two shares of your stock weren't doing so well, I'd really think you hate me.