Google Wallet, Rooting GS3 ?

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...here-google-wallet-root-unlock-sensitive.html

Hello,

The other day I thought I had all of my preliminary questions and concerns answered about rooting my Gs3, based on weeks of reading through threads, watching videos, the whole nine ... until I came across the link above.

This stopped me cold in my tracks for days, now after doing more looking and reading and rereading related items on this, I want to just plainly ask here in this forum, if I may.

Here's my situ:

I have GW installed on the phone, but I have only opened it a few times. I have never completed the set up on it.

Ever since I saw the thread above, I've been avoiding buying anything from the Play store ( haven't bought anything from the PS since I bought the phone) because it says by clicking buy, you accept the terms of GW.

My question is... since I haven't set up GW, nor purchased anything from the PS, if I root...( just root and keep the stock ROM) will the secure element on my phone be broken?

Is this still a general issue for root users? Also, that thread was for the HTC EVO, does make any kind of difference here?

Any answers, tips, recommendations, warnings, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
... uh... did I say something wrong above? Or is the answer already out there and I just need to keep looking?

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You can always keep looking...otherwise have patience.

The couple of times I have actually used wallet, I had no issues. And this was after flashing custom ROM.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You can always keep looking...otherwise have patience.

The couple of times I have actually used wallet, I had no issues. And this was after flashing custom ROM.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked
Thanks, SeanskiT1! I appreciate your response and you sharing your experience with GW. And.. yes...Patience is a virtue. :) Many thanks. ~Tahe

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
i use wallet all the time for nfc payments, on a custom rom.

i know in the past the secure element of nfc would mess up, and couldnt be fixed, if you installed a new rom without wiping wallet.

I just go to the settings in wallet on reset the app b4 i installe a rom, just to be safe

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm using GW on a rooted, ROM'd, themed and bastardized <g> GS3 with no problem. GW does display a message that my device saying it's unsupported, but it works just fine.

The issue, and why Google says rooted devices aren't supported, is security. A rooted device is, in theory, easier to hack and gain access to the saved credit card info.

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
i use wallet all the time for nfc payments, on a custom rom.

i know in the past the secure element of nfc would mess up, and couldnt be fixed, if you installed a new rom without wiping wallet.

I just go to the settings in wallet on reset the app b4 i installe a rom, just to be safe

Thanks for your response, ab304945! That's definitely good to know. Right now I don't plan on running any custom ROMs, but I think I'll do like you when I do and be sure to reset it.

Tahe

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm using GW on a rooted, ROM'd, themed and bastardized <g> GS3 with no problem. GW does display a message that my device saying it's unsupported, but it works just fine.

The issue, and why Google says rooted devices aren't supported, is security. A rooted device is, in theory, easier to hack and gain access to the saved credit card info.

Many thanks, Meyerweb! I really appreciate it. Ok so...if I may ask, you don't have any worries about the whole "security" thing, then?

Based on all of the responses in this thread, it sounds like I should be good to go, but to just proceed with caution (reset the app) when it comes to flashing ROMs and such to be safe.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The way I look at security, in the worst case it's the same as if I lose my real wallet, or real credit card. Just report the card lost / stolen ASAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mt20apps