Gorilla Glass? Um, NO, Gorilla Plastic, maybe....

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I know its not the biggest deal to some of y'all that use screen protectors regardless of if ur phone is GG or not, but for me and a few of us out there who have come to find as long as we are careful our GG phones reward us by never scratching and looking brandy new till the day we part with them.

Sooooo i get my Galaxy Note (Int'l White Version) yesterday and while i can say "Hands down i have found my dream of a phone", there is ONLY one teeny tiney complaint i have & its is the display.

All day yesterday and today i was like, hmm the display (as nice as it is) just doesn't "pop" like my Samsung Vibrant, Infuse, & Galaxy S ii and i attributed it to not being Super AMOLED "PLUS" ...but i was tilting it and all of a sudden i saw like a covering that doesn't reach compllllletely to the edge and i was like, omg! thats a sheet of PLASTIC covering the screen, NOT glass.

even took my Infuse out of the closet and did side by side, when Infuse is off its "black black, and if u tap it, it makes a glass like sound".... If u tap Note, it sounds plastic-y and with the screen off has an ever so "cloudy" hue that only plastic has. I know there are some that might disagree with me, but i am pretty sure i am right, and it also explains why i have come across soooo many posts of ppl saying "despite their being careful like they have with previous phones, they are finding their G-Note is getting scratched....

Considering all the phone has to offer, i suppose its not a HUGE deal, but 'm just a tad disappointed cuz i have always HATED screen protectors, even the NICEST most expensive ones tend to crap up around the edges over time, not necessarily coming up but getting like a whitish line from where u can tell theres a protector on it.

I know its kinda nit-picking cuz the phone is sooooo amazing in every single way (at least to me it is) but i was wondering if anyone else has come to think their screen is maybe made of plastic also (or care) lol

i guess i should consider myself lucky if in fact it IS made of something other than what i am used to on all my previous Samsung phones (that i have never had so much as a hairline scratch on even after months and months of use with no protector on it) that i found out NOW so i can add a saver, but i still find myself feeling like "Samsung cut a corner"....anyone else? .... (Prolly not, most others like me have ALREADY been rounded up and committed by now...lol)

:p

BTC

Last edited:

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I know its not the biggest deal to some of y'all that use screen protectors regardless of if ur phone is GG or not, but for me and a few of us out there who have come to find as long as we are careful our GG phones reward us by never scratching and looking brandy new till the day we part with them.

Sooooo i get my Galaxy Note (Int'l White Version) yesterday and while i can say "Hands down i have found my dream of a phone", there is ONLY one teeny tiney complaint i have & its is the display.

All day yesterday and today i was like, hmm the display (as nice as it is) just doesn't "pop" like my Samsung Vibrant, Infuse, & Galaxy S ii and i attributed it to not being Super AMOLED "PLUS" ...but i was tilting it and all of a sudden i saw like a covering that doesn't reach compllllletely to the edge and i was like, omg! thats a sheet of PLASTIC covering the screen, NOT glass.

even took my Infuse out of the closet and did side by side, when Infuse is off its "black black, and if u tap it, it makes a glass like sound".... If u tap Note, it sounds plastic-y and with the screen off has an ever so "cloudy" hue that only plastic has. I know there are some that might disagree with me, but i am pretty sure i am right, and it also explains why i have come across soooo many posts of ppl saying "despite their being careful like they have with previous phones, they are finding their G-Note is getting scratched....

Considering all the phone has to offer, i suppose its not a HUGE deal, but 'm just a tad disappointed cuz i have always HATED screen protectors, even the NICEST most expensive ones tend to crap up around the edges over time, not necessarily coming up but getting like a whitish line from where u can tell theres a protector on it.

I know its kinda nit-picking cuz the phone is sooooo amazing in every single way (at least to me it is) but i was wondering if anyone else has come to think their screen is maybe made of plastic also (or care) lol

i guess i should consider myself lucky if in fact it IS made of something other than what i am used to on all my previous Samsung phones (that i have never had so much as a hairline scratch on even after months and months of use with no protector on it) that i found out NOW so i can add a saver, but i still find myself feeling like "Samsung cut a corner"....anyone else? .... (Prolly not, most others like me have ALREADY been rounded up and committed by now...lol)

:p

BTC

Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory phone episode. One of the guys got a new phone and they argued over who could remove the shipping screen protector. They ended up each grabbing a corner of the protector. They removed it very slowly for the full effect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
All day yesterday and today i was like, hmm the display (as nice as it is) just doesn't "pop" like my Samsung Vibrant, Infuse, & Galaxy S ii and i attributed it to not being Super AMOLED "PLUS"
Actually the only device that has Super AMOLED Plus is the Galaxy II. All other devices Super AMOLED have either Super AMOLED or Super AMOLED HD. In the case of the Vibrant it has plain old Super AMOLED.

I know its kinda nit-picking cuz the phone is sooooo amazing in every single way (at least to me it is) but i was wondering if anyone else has come to think their screen is maybe made of plastic

I suspect the lower screen quality and the plastic feel are caused by the Wacom technology. The Note's S pen does not use bluetooth or capacitive to track location, it uses the wacom screen technology for precision and pressure sensitivity.

With GG the rigid surface most likely prevents the wacom pen from detecting pressure sensitivity.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually the only device that has Super AMOLED Plus is the Galaxy II. All other devices Super AMOLED have either Super AMOLED or Super AMOLED HD. In the case of the Vibrant it has plain old Super AMOLED.

I suspect the lower screen quality and the plastic feel are caused by the Wacom technology. The Note's S pen does not use bluetooth or capacitive to track location, it uses the wacom screen technology for precision and pressure sensitivity.

With GG the rigid surface most likely prevents the wacom pen from detecting pressure sensitivity.

Not to be disagreeable but my Infuse was Super Amoled PLUS as well, but that makes a ton of sense what you say about the surface being different to accomodate the S Pen, that makes me feel less "duped"....lol

On my 3rd day and loving this device like no othah! It just contunues to deliver on every single level. Usually by now with every previous device (and boy have i gone thru 'em : ) i've usually found a ton of things not to my liking, but i must say not ONE thing on this phone disappoints. I rooted and changed the LCD Density to 260 and it is just PERFECT!

i had a few ICS devices already andi love G-Bread soooo much more, it just makes more sense in my head, "i'm one with it"... lol

thanks Paul & X!

BTC

bentheslayer

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
BTC, I don't want to sound sarcastic or anything but the plastic cover you mentioned - are you sure this isn't the standard protective cover that all devices ship with? If it is, that's designed to be taken off straight away . . .

Ben

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463