GPS jumping all over the place!

Aslan_14

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all! Got a refurb Droid X2 over the weekend to replace my 4th (oh!) Droid X. I had issues over and over with freezing, unresponsive screens, randomly restarting, etc, etc.

Anyways, I run almost every morning, and I use RunKeeper. Other than my phone restarting on me during the middle of the run, I never had any GPS issues with RunKeeper. Two mornings ago I was about 3/4 of a mile into a run, and runkeeper notified me that I had gone 3.4 miles in only 8 minutes....... Right? Wrong! I stopped and looked at my track. It had me zigzagging all over the place. So I restarted, didn't help. Called Verizon, uninstalled Runkeeper. Checked GPS on Google Tracks. None of that helped. Factory reset the phone. No help there either. So we contact Asurion and they sent me a NIB Droid X2.

And wouldn't you believe that this phone has the exact same problem? I can sit in my driveway, not under any structures or trees or obstructions of any type, and the GPS has me jumping around like Superman.

Unlike the Droid X, there does not seem to be a compass calibration feature.

Does anyone else have this problem? It seems to me that if it is happening with two phones, maybe it is the type of phone, type of GPS... I don't know.

It makes me want to go back to the X, despite all it's problems. While the X2 is really fast, I am sorely disappointed in Motorola right now.

Thanks for any input!

PS Does anyone else dislike the new screen? Its weird and everything looks REALLY grainy. The X display was much crisper.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
If you enable GPS and go into the stock Map App it's inaccurate? I really only use my GPS with Naviation and Maps, but, my GPS is fine with both. I hike, and, sometimes I'll be in some pretty dense woods and my GPS seems to still be pretty accurate in that scenario as well.

There is an app you can get that will calibrate your GPS by having your rotate it in a couple of different ways. I forget what it's called. I had it for a while because I thought I was having GPS issues, then realized it's just because I work in a large office building. So, I ended up uninstalling it after I realized my GPS was fine everywhere but at work.

No, I love the new screen. I did not have an original X, but, a buddy I work with does and we both agree the screen on the X2 is WAY nicer. We compared them side by side. My girlfriend and I both have X2s and we really like the screen. It was one of the reasons we bought the X2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon