GPS support only on VZW network?

drmikecrowe

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

This isn't important, but I am traveling outside the US and was trying to use the GPS (just for giggles).

Anybody know if the GPS works outside the US? While here in Taiwan, it never seems to get a GPS signal. I assumed that was a different radio, and not tied to the Verizon network, but maybe I'm wrong.

Mike

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I can't speak for how it works off network in Taiwan. I do know that I get a fix outside of coverage though, I know this from using google maps navigation and driving out of coverage area and it still pinpoints my location.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The A-GPS, that uses cell tower triangulation for faster locks, will not work unless you are roaming on a network that supports it. The on-board GPS chip that uses GPS Satellites should work, if you turn it on in the location and security settings. You might have longer lock times and you must be outside with a clear view of the sky.

Once you do have a lock you must have mapping software that supports the region you are travelling in. If you use Telenav or Google Maps you will also require a cellular data connection since the maps are downloaded real time. Co-Pilot is the only mapping software stored locally but I'm not sure they have maps for Taiwan.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The A-GPS, that uses cell tower triangulation for faster locks, will not work unless you are roaming on a network that supports it. The on-board GPS chip that uses GPS Satellites should work, if you turn it on in the location and security settings. You might have longer lock times and you must be outside with a clear view of the sky.

Once you do have a lock you must have mapping software that supports the region you are travelling in. If you use Telenav or Google Maps you will also require a cellular data connection since the maps are downloaded real time. Co-Pilot is the only mapping software stored locally but I'm not sure they have maps for Taiwan.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Anybody know if the GPS works outside the US?
Questions like this are extremely vague and very common on all sorts of device discussion forums.

The sGPS receiver doesn't need any type of coverage (just the ability to lock on GPS satellites) but that's just one piece of the puzzle. As stated above, you need a GPS app that suits your location and coverage needs. Some apps download map and other data as needed. Others store it locally. In short, it will work provided that you have the appropriate GPS app.

aGPS, of course, requires coverage by your wireless carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjd19891