GPS Week Rollover on Nov. 3 - Motorola DROID Mini

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My brother has a Motorola DROID Mini, from Verizon, and Verizon has notified us that it may not work well after Nov. 3, 2019. What I have been able to find is that some vendors used February 2000 as the reference date for the GPS week, and those phones will roll over on Nov. 3, unlike the actual 19.7 year GPS rollover week that happened in April of 2019.

I'm trying to find out what will actually be affected on his phone, and whether anything can be reset to get the correct date after the rollover.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Droid Mini is more than 6 years old, and from what I can tell only got as high as KitKat. KitKat is no longer officially supported, and many major apps probably don't work on it any more. In addition, there are likely a number of security flaws that never got patched. I would highly recommend moving on to a more modern device.

Skydaver

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
B. Diddy, I have no arguments with anything you've said, but it is not my choice to make. I've informed my brother of what might happen, and he'll have to make the choice. Nov. 3 will be interesting.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The government issued a warning, quite a while ago, that devices sold in 2013 or earlier would run into the problem if not patched. So not only the Droid mini, but any phones from that era or earlier. (We'll see what my Note 3 does - I'm expecting something not good.)