Great signal..no reboots..no mic prob...Dead pixel

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Thought I got really lucky with my Nexus. Have had no signal problems (was even getting great 4G signal on top of Stone Mountain where previous phones had no signal), no random reboots, no mic problems even after multiple calls lasting over 1 hour, just perfect. Then I happened to be taking a picture with a white background and noticed a little black dot in the middle of the screen...dead pixel. :(

Have a replacement coming Wednesday. Will see if some of the problems other owners have been having is as wide spread as it appears on the forums. If so, will just keep have them send me replacements until I get one that's as good as the current one minus the dead pixel.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
lol that's what I did--had them essentially keep sending me phones until I (or my OCD) could not find a defect!

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
lol that's what I did--had them essentially keep sending me phones until I (or my OCD) could not find a defect!

Beauty of warranty. :)

Right after seeing this thread, I notice a red dot on my screen... Guess it's stuck.

Sorry about that! I don't know if mine is a dead or stuck pixel. It's black but when I run a dead pixel app, it disappears on certain backgrounds. It's just a tiny speck but now I know it's there, my eyes are immediately drawn to it. I kind of wish I hadn't noticed it but on the other hand, no reason why I should have to live with a defect so back it goes.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to try to send mine back too. It's not even like it's bad. You've gotta look pretty close to see it. But like you said, now that I know it's there, my eyes are drawn to that spot and it's irritating the f out of me.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Same here. 2nd phone and data and call quality are perfect but my screen has quite a few issues. I'm holding onto this one till the update finally rolls out because i can use it as a phone and the radios don't fall asleep.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I imagine most of us on the forum are like that. I don't even want to look at the screen right now and wishing I had called them earlier so I could have gotten the replacement tomorrow. lol

VZW has always been great about honoring the warranty. Only time they gave me any kind of problem was when they had 3 replacements out to me at the same time, and they told me they had to get at least one of them back before they could send out another (this was for the Droid Charge not the Nexus. They ended up swapping me out of the Charge for the Nexus). When I called them tonight, I just told them I had a dead pixel and the tech immediately said we'll get you out a replacement for Wednesday arrival.

Good luck with your replacement!

Last edited:

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I must be lucky. I've not had the issues it sounds like some of you have.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I must be lucky. I've not had the issues it sounds like some of you have.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dead pixels are relatively common in these types of screens. In fact, these screens are fairly quirky beasts, their tremendous beauty aside (of course).

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Dead pixels are relatively common in these types of screens. In fact, these screens are fairly quirky beasts, their tremendous beauty aside (of course).
You know I have a screen tester app that I installed on my phone a while back to check for burn in, now im super tempted to run it to make sure i dont have any dead pixels. MY OCD is starting to get the best of me now.

I will resist.... I dont see anything, i dont need to know....

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Well received my replacement but didn't even bother turning it on as it has a scratch on the screen of about 1/4 inch (I think it's a scratch but it almost looks like it's under the screen rather than on top). Can't believe this phone even got released as a CLN. They are sending out another one to arrive tomorrow.

For what it's worth, the replacement shows made in China. My original one shows made in Korea.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well received my replacement but didn't even bother turning it on as it has a scratch on the screen of about 1/4 inch (I think it's a scratch but it almost looks like it's under the screen rather than on top). Can't believe this phone even got released as a CLN. They are sending out another one to arrive tomorrow.

For what it's worth, the replacement shows made in China. My original one shows made in Korea.

Their CLN program is absolutely terrible. I've been through 3 CLN devices myself, including my current.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Received my 2nd replacement and it is perfect again! A few things I noticed right off bat..

1. No signal problems. If anything, it seems stronger just looking at the bars. My previous one sometimes would drop down to 2 bars. This has been steady at 3 to 4 bars.
2. No vertical banding at low brightness setting. The other one definitely had some vertical banding. Not enough to really be bothered with it but the new one shows zero banding of any kind. It is still grainy at low setting but figure that's just the nature of the screen technology.
3. And of course, no dead pixel! :)

After seeing no problem with signal on the replacement, I am really perplexed by signal issues that others are having.

Haven't tested the mic as I haven't had a chance to make a long phone call but not anticipating any problems...hopefully.

Once again, since some people seem to be interested in where it's made, I will note this one was made in Korea.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second handset (Samsung customer support recommended it to VZW to answer my mic drop out issue). Second phone works just like the first, poor reception mic drop out. the phone is made in Korea

I wonder if people without reception and mic drop issues simply have better hardware batches?

Love the phone except for the phone part.:)

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It'll come down to personal preferences. By that, I mean that if you can live with the dead pixel, keep it. It sounds like your phone is great.

Otherwise, if you can't bare to look at that pixel all day, exchange it again. Keep trying, there's great phones out there... Mine was one, as I haven't had any of the reported problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagssvxhh