GRRRRR! Restore didn't put any of my apps back!

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Using the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit, I was able to unlock and root my phone (took about an hour), and before that I did a full backup, and I watched it go through and back up all of my apps, and I gave it a password.

Then, after the unlocking and rooting, I used the Toolkit to prompt a restore, and it gave me the file, I typed it in, I got the screen on my phone, I typed in the password, it said restore beginning, then almost immediately, it said "restore ended", with none of my apps restored.

What happened? I have tried the process three times now with the same result?

Will I now have to spend the many hours getting all of my apps back and in the right place? What about all the beta apk's that I had backed up? Will I have to go track all of those down again?

Edit: since I plan on flashing the 4.0.4 ROM now, should I just wait to do all of this work until after I flash it?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Since I'm not familiar with Galaxy Nexus Toolkit your best option to find out what issues you have restoring app's and data would be to ask here.

And if your planning on flashing 4.0.4 ROM I would recommend waiting on setting up and downloading all your apps until after you flash to save time. If you need help finding any beta apk's just ask and I'll help you find them.

Good luck :)

Reactions: zero neck

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I would go ahead and flash your new ROM. Most all the ROM's I have flashed of late all do an auto restore from the market (it's an option that is usually checked by default during the activation process after flashing). My experience has been that it restores about 70% to 90% of all apps you had from the market (paid and free). I haev no idea why it never gets 100% of them. In the future, you should buy the paid version of Titanium Backup and always make a backup before flashing. That's how you get back the few apps the restore process misses as well as restore all your app data (app data only...never system data).

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I have Titanium, including the paid version, from previous Android phones, but that is a root device. You can't use it (as far as I can see) to back up before you root. I asked that earlier and what people suggested was to use an adb app to do the initial backup, then I can use Titanium from now on.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Since I'm not familiar with Galaxy Nexus Toolkit your best option to find out what issues you have restoring app's and data would be to ask here.

And if your planning on flashing 4.0.4 ROM I would recommend waiting on setting up and downloading all your apps until after you flash to save time. If you need help finding any beta apk's just ask and I'll help you find them.

Good luck :)

Thanks, I have posted over there.

Where can I get the latest 4.0.4 ROM? Can I use Rom Manager to flash it?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend flashing AOKP which is a 4.0.4 rom with all the bells and whistles and you can find it here. Milestone 5 is the most stable version or you can try Build 37 which is the latest.

You will be flashing in CWR and can find the best guide here.

Reactions: Vance14

Easton091

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
It took me about 5 tries to get restore to work on toolkit. Just keep trying till it wors

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a back up in clockwork and was playing with themes when my phone crashed. it would not turn on for nothing so I used the Root Toolkit to flash me back to stock.....well, I forgot it erases EVERYTHING, even the SD card, there went my back up and all my pics and vids.. :'(
So I'm starting from scratch. My goof, wondering if there was anything I could have done to bring this phone back to life without having to do that, sigh.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have Titanium, including the paid version, from previous Android phones, but that is a root device. You can't use it (as far as I can see) to back up before you root. I asked that earlier and what people suggested was to use an adb app to do the initial backup, then I can use Titanium from now on.

I believe Jerry's Backup Wonder Machine is the only way to backup pre-root. I used it before unlocking and rooting, but I haven't had a need to make sure it worked since. I have plenty of backups since rooting so I doubt I ever will, but it helps with being skerred before rooting the first time:D

http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...a-backup-wonder-machine-no-root-ics-only.html

Reactions: zero neck

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Contejas, I wish I had known about that before! :0)

I am still trying to get everything in place. I also wish I had known I should keep trying it (I did try three times), but by the time I found that out, I had already gotten a lot put back.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
^^speaking of this...hey MODs- don't you think Jerry's BWM should be a sticky in this section as well as the Android Applications section? Obviously I think it would be helpful or at least couldn't hurt to be there (assuming Jerry wouldn't mind...). I only stumbled upon it myself and I definitely read every one of the stickies in this section. Just a thought:)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
^^speaking of this...hey MODs- don't you think Jerry's BWM should be a sticky in this section as well as the Android Applications section? Obviously I think it would be helpful or at least couldn't hurt to be there (assuming Jerry wouldn't mind...). I only stumbled upon it myself and I definitely read every one of the stickies in this section. Just a thought:)

I do agree it would be helpful to have BWM stickied here but we have a limit of the numbers of stickies per forum and we are currently maxed out here. I added a link in my signature and plan on recommending it more often.

Thanks

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I had a back up in clockwork and was playing with themes when my phone crashed. it would not turn on for nothing so I used the Root Toolkit to flash me back to stock.....well, I forgot it erases EVERYTHING, even the SD card, there went my back up and all my pics and vids.. :'(
So I'm starting from scratch. My goof, wondering if there was anything I could have done to bring this phone back to life without having to do that, sigh.

Unfortunately, the only thing that could save you is of you had a fairly recent copy of your sd card contents on your pc. I try to make a copy of mine every week. The only thing that is certain about data storage, is that at some point, in some manor, it will fail. Got to have those backups.

EDIT: One more thought. If you ever use Google+, it may have auto uploaded copies of all your photo's to it's servers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ugr