Guy on theverge claiming he converted his AT&T phone to GE

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
A guy by the screen name of GuntherW claims here (Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Play editions receiving Android 4.3 update | The Verge) that he converted his AT&T S4 to GE and is even getting the 4.3 update automatically pushed to his phone (Posted on Aug 3, 2013 | 11:33 AM).

Quoting: "I converted my phone on AT&T (requires S-off) to the Google edition phone. Was easy since the hardware is identical and the Model ID ( MID) is the same. Just had to flash the ROM, Recovery, and Bootloader and change my CID to GOOGL001"

My question to you guys is: is this possible???

I'd really like to do this because a) It would save me $400, and b) I could have a black S4.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It would be good to know. I've got a Canadian (Telus) S4 and would love to get the stock Play Edition ROM on this. I've been checking out XDA-Developers, but there's a lot of information to go through and I've had the phone since last night - so haven't had much chance to figure this out.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
sure it is if he flashed a stock S4 Google Edition image onto his att s4. He essentially turned his S4 into a google edition S4. If he backed up his original OS he can also switch back again.

Turn Your HTC One or Galaxy S4 Into a Google Edition Phone

This is why so many of the GPe reviewers stated that converting a subsidized S4 to a S4 GPe would cost less. I switch my SIM back and forth so wanted both phones stock. While my preference on color is black, the white GPe does not bother me as much as I thought it would. I have a Navy Samsung Protective case + I use.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Super helpful post!

sure it is if he flashed a stock S4 Google Edition image onto his att s4. He essentially turned his S4 into a google edition S4. If he backed up his original OS he can also switch back again.

Turn Your HTC One or Galaxy S4 Into a Google Edition Phone

This is why so many of the GPe reviewers stated that converting a subsidized S4 to a S4 GPe would cost less. I switch my SIM back and forth so wanted both phones stock. While my preference on color is black, the white GPe does not bother me as much as I thought it would. I have a Navy Samsung Protective case + I use.

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the Samsung ROM to stock android. Kinda nice having more than 5 home screens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
He is referring to his AT&T HTC ONE. I did the same process. It is completely converted and I received the 4.3 ota when it was released for the official gpe version. When he talks about cid,mid and s-off that is all HTC related. As far as I know there is no way to fully convert the s4 especially on Att and Verizon with the locked bootloaders. You can still flash the gpe rom and it's basically the same minus the ota.

Sent from my Google Play Edition HTC ONE.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Two more questions:

1) Does this also work with the S4 Active?

2) Will it be possible for me to revert back to TouchWiz (i.e., the original software the phone came with) if I don't like the Google Edition ROM?

Last edited: