Handcent vs Samsung SMS/MMS

Jgonzo1299

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Start discussion. pros? cons? battery usage? does handcent get rid of the 160 character limit that everyone is probably experiencing now? Any ways to get rid of the 160 character limit if handcent doesnt get rid of it?

ITF36059

Dis-Member
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hancent IMHO is far better messaging software than stock. As for the 160 character limit, my messages are not that long. Besides, I thought the 160 limit had something to with CDMA technology, not the software.

jrs1035

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Every single US based cell phone carrier has a 160 character limit on sms. Just keep typing and if you go over 160 it'll be broken into two separate messages.

Jgonzo1299

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Every single US based cell phone carrier has a 160 character limit on sms. Just keep typing and if you go over 160 it'll be broken into two separate messages.

No, i know that. But the new leak that is combined with EB16 has a limit. 160 characters. Instead of a SMS it converts it to a MMS after 160. So when you send it to somebody, they have to download it, or it takes longer for the other person to receive.

nvm i found a fix. On the hacks forum theres a sticky with Themes, addons, roms, kernels. Under EB01 Add-ons theres a patch that you can install via CWM and it stops this from happening. Now i can send 960 characters again without any conversions.

jrs1035

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
No, i know that. But the new leak that is combined with EB16 has a limit. 160 characters. Instead of a SMS it converts it to a MMS after 160. So when you send it to somebody, they have to download it, or it takes longer for the other person to receive.

nvm i found a fix. On the hacks forum theres a sticky with Themes, addons, roms, kernels. Under EB01 Add-ons theres a patch that you can install via CWM and it stops this from happening. Now i can send 960 characters again without any conversions.

I wasn't aware of that bug, thanks for the heads up!

Zkippy

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I use handcent, and am happy with it, but I'm wondering if there's any way to disable the stock messenger icon from appearing in the notification bar after I've received a message with hancent.

edit - I'm a noob. For some reason I never noticed the option in the settings. Please disregard :)

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Handcent drains your battery like crazy! At least it did mine. I use GO SMS! It is the best out there and doesn't waste as much battery. And they update the app like every week or so with new and improved options.

tw105188

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Never tried handcent but I use go SMS and really like how you can customize everything. Haven't noticed any negative effects on battery life

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Only reason I have not gone to using another messenger app is because I like the puzzle lock screen to go right to messages. If there was a way to get that to work with Go SMS or Handcent I would use that.

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have used both stock, handcent, and chompsms, and i prefer chompSMS best.

Lots of customizations and works best for me

stilltipin87

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I've tried Handcent, Go SMS and Chomp SMS. Out of the 3, Go SMS is my favorite. Chomp was really laggy and would freeze a bunch on me. I can't really say anything bad about Handcent, but I've grown to love Go SMS.

shannonkish

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I use handcent and LOVE it. I have never noticed any problems with my battery life because of Handscent.

It is customizable and very easy to use.

Loudestbough

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been using GO SMS and at first I kinda missed the puzzle unlock, but you get a popup window for each new msg and I actually like that better now. More options than just open the msg.

mikethemedic

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I have used both the stock and Handcent. I love the pop up feature for handcent and that is why I stuck with it.

IMO far better than the stock SMS app.

ccannon917

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Handcent mainly because of the notification while on a call. I know this isn't possible with the stock messaging app (at least I couldn't make it work). I got tired of hanging up from an hour long call to see I had gotten a text 45 minutes ago. Handcent takes care of that. Others may as well, but I like Handcent's ease of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cre8aDeb8