Question Handset just for SMS

asimon

Nov 24, 2023
Visit site
I need to receive SMS via wifi calling at home as the network signal where I live is useless. I don't need any other facilities such as data or voice calls as this will be used solely for receiving OTP's at home. I plan to get a PAYG sim for it. Any suggestions for a cheap handset? I've been looking at older 2nd hand phones for under £40 but it is a nightmare trying to work out whether they can work with wifi calling or which operating systems they will need to run it and even whether they can be upgraded to a recent enough OS or not.

Any suggestions please?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To receive SMS, you would still need a voice plan, since SMS requires telephony. (In other words, you wouldn't be able to receive SMS on a phone without a SIM that's connected to wi-fi.) As such, you might be able to find a really cheap phone deal from a carrier (but it would presumably lock you in to a payment plan).

asimon

Nov 24, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for replying.
Yes, I realise I need a SIM and a wifi connection. What I'm after is recommendations for makes and models of old (therefore cheap) phones that will do the job. I can then easily get a PAYG SIM to give me a number. My present phone wont do wifi calling. This problem of OTP codes must be an issue lots of people face. At the moment I have to run around up and down the road hoping for a sufficient signal to get the SMS before the bank or whoever times me out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I see. Although I probably won't have any definite suggestions for you, it will probably be important to know which carrier you plan to use, in order to ensure compatibility. Then maybe others in the forum can throw out some suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter