Hangouts occasionally logs me into my google account - what the?!

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Hangouts but purposely use it only for SMS/MMS and stay logged out of my google account there.

At least three times now since installed Lollipop three or so weeks ago the app has logged me into my google account. I then have to go into the Settings area of the app and Sign Out.

Is this happening to anyone else?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly new to phones so I don't know much but I got a mystery message a few days ago that gave me my "Google Verification". It was a five-digit number. I have no idea what it was about. As far as I know, I wasn't doing anything with Google--except using my cell phone for texting.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this as well, but not until the most recent Hangouts update - so a few weeks after I got my Lolipop update. If I opened up Hangouts manually, no problem - I stayed logged out of my google account and could use just for text messaging. But when I used the direct message shortcut I have set up on my home screen in order to immediately send a text to my wife, then it logs in to my google account. Very strange. I could not figure out how to make it stop. I ended up installing Google Messenger to handle my texts, and now only use Hangouts when I specifically want to gchat.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking of doing that. Can you summarize how you're liking using Messenger instead of Hangouts?
It is exactly the same - same interface and everything. If, like me, you are too old and set in your ways to wrap your head around combining gchat and texts in to one next-gen app, this is the way to go. When Google re-released Messenger a few months ago, I was thinking of switching to it then, but thought I had the hang of hangouts enough to not need it. But this most recent hangouts update was the proverbial straw.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Has there been any word about this bug on other forums or sites?

I'm just about to ditch using Hangouts because of this. It's happening about once a day.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally switched over to using Messenger as Hangouts was still repeatedly signing me into my google account (sometimes several times a day). Messenger has its pros and cons, but at least I don't have to worry about getting signed into my google account.

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
i was having the same problems so i went installed google messenger to avoid the problem. however, messenger does not handle group messages (mms) well whatsoever, so i was forced to switch back.

i'm hoping google is developing a fix for this soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yura32