Has VZW enabled use of third-party SIM cards?

New Daddy

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Has VZW enabled use of third-party SIM cards for Droid 4 yet? It was the biggest issue I had with Droid 4, as I travel often and find third-party SIM to be an indispensable part of my travel planning.

DOOG9517

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I know the Razr and Rezound have gsm radios and are getting global abilities by way of a software update soon. I assumed the Droid 4 had the same radios as the Razr.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I know the Razr and Rezound have gsm radios and are getting global abilities by way of a software update soon. I assumed the Droid 4 had the same radios as the Razr.

I did a little digging, and it seems you are correct. They need to do some tweaking to the LTE software, but because LTE is based on GSM they apparently will be able to make it compatible/global capable. There's some indication from this thread on Motorola's forums that the global capability is coming with ICS?

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/72961d1549?start=31&stop=45

At any rate, in the meantime you can apparently roam in foreign countries that have CDMA networks.

I'm still not sure that once this gets set up that you will be able to swap out your VZW SIM for one from a foreign carrier while traveling abroad though. It may just be a way for them to enable global roaming while charging you through the nose.

killerman1-11

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I did a little digging, and it seems you are correct. They need to do some tweaking to the LTE software, but because LTE is based on GSM they apparently will be able to make it compatible/global capable. There's some indication from this thread on Motorola's forums that the global capability is coming with ICS?

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/72961d1549?start=31&stop=45

At any rate, in the meantime you can apparently roam in foreign countries that have CDMA networks.

I'm still not sure that once this gets set up that you will be able to swap out your VZW SIM for one from a foreign carrier while traveling abroad though. It may just be a way for them to enable global roaming while charging you through the nose.

Might i add that the chipset (mdm6000) supports virtually all modern standards. this mean 99% chance it will work with the leaked ics roms. as always the roms contain a carrier lockout of us gsm carriers but it should work overseas on at least hspa+.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuzZKillz78