Have a couple questions about rooting my droid

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I was going to wait until the official 2.1 came out for my droid. I decided i want to play with rooting to keep myself entertained until the official comes out...but i have a couple questions:

-Is it necessary to backup my applications i already have installed on my phone? can i just root the phone, and it wont touch my apps? if i need to back up my applications and settings, how do i do that? i hope i can just root my phone without it deleting all my stuff. i know my contacts and such are safe, being back up through google and all, but i dont want to have to redownload all my apps if it can be avoided.

-when the official 2.1 does come out, can i unroot my phone and go back to stock by downloading and reinstalling the 2.0.1? will this remove the root? again, if i remove the root, will it wipe out all my apps and settings?

I basically just want to play with rooting and overclocking until the official 2.1 comes out, then i want to unroot, install the official 2.1, and then maybe wait until 2.1 gets rooted.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
If you are looking to just root your phone, it wont affect the current applications you have installed on your device. If you plan to flash to another rom, depending which it is, it may require you to delete everything and then flash.

You will be able to unroot your phone and return it back completely stock if you wish, not sure if that removes all your apps though.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
interesting. so, if i just rooted my phone, and didn't install a new rom, just used the root to overclock, etc it shouldn't mess with my stuff? what options do i have to backup my apps and settings? i just dont like the idea of having to wipe my phone (btw, how do you wipe this thing?) and then having to reconfigured all my settings, all my apps, etc.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Personally not to familiar with a good back up option because I rooted and flashed as soon as I got my DROID so I set everything up while on the new ROM.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
oh ok. i dont know if i feel like dealing with a new rom yet. i might just root and overclock for now. what other cool things are there to do with a rooted droid if i dont want to install a new rom?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Some apps will only run on a rooted phone, for example like DroCap to take screen caps without the need for a PC.

I am running Bugless Beauty, not very excited for the 2.1 release since it will be a dumbed down version of 2.1 and a lot of the stuff in it is already done by people with their ROM creations. (personal opinion of course)

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Some apps will only run on a rooted phone, for example like DroCap to take screen caps without the need for a PC.

I am running Bugless Beauty, not very excited for the 2.1 release since it will be a dumbed down version of 2.1 and a lot of the stuff in it is already done by people with their ROM creations. (personal opinion of course)

true, but hopefully after the official is released, new roms will be created using the native 2.1 as a base. so...whether you're excited about the official 2.1 or not...it should pave the way for better roms! that in itself is exciting.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Yeah, but then you are still using something non official, so wouldnt you rather just enhance your current experience, and then upgrade at that point as well?

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but then you are still using something non official, so wouldnt you rather just enhance your current experience, and then upgrade at that point as well?

Very true. i just got done rooting my phone...so i'll see what i feel like doing in the next couple days...now to figure out this setcpu app...

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok i rooted my droid, installed the setcpu app, made it "autodetect" like i was supposed to, and it still only lets me go up to 550mhz. i've tried everything i can think of it and it wont go higher than 550. also, when i try to run the sholesmod updater app again, it downloads and tries to install some recovery thing...what is that?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
the sholes app will flash your rom and in order to flash you are supposed to have a sperecovery set up, thats what its creating.

have you downloaded a higher kernel to use for the overclock yet?

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
the sholes app will flash your rom and in order to flash you are supposed to have a sperecovery set up, thats what its creating.

have you downloaded a higher kernel to use for the overclock yet?

nope, it never said anything about a new kernel. all the instructions i found said to root the phone, install setcpu, and away i go.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Some ROM's will come with kernels in it, but the stock rom does not.

I personally was not a fan of the sholes rom that it flashed to, a bit slow for me, and I personally like the darker look of the Bugless Roms/

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Some ROM's will come with kernels in it, but the stock rom does not.

I personally was not a fan of the sholes rom that it flashed to, a bit slow for me, and I personally like the darker look of the Bugless Roms/

i dont know if i feel like setting up another rom, i just got done rearranging all my icons on this one. it gives me a couple new things to play with. i might choose to play with a different rom soon though. how do i switch to bugless if i want to go that route? do i just do the update.zip thing?

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
yikes. well..maybe i'll search for instructions for doing that at some point. it sounds like it might take a while, or require some detailed instructions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novigator