Have I painted myself into a corner?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted 4.2.2 stock ROM. I think I have a custom recovery installed, but not sure which. I have the franco Kernel installed.

Is it possible for me to return to stock to install the 4.3 OTA? I have downloaded it and tried to install, but it errors out.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are running a custom ROM, then no you won't be able to receive to accept the OTA update.

Yes you can return to stock OS/unroot and then receive the OTA update or look for a custom stockish build off the latest N4 update.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
With the widespread rooting issues, I would try to retain root as best as possible. A lot of those that are having trouble regaining proper root are ones that have flashed the factory image, although, I think chainfire has made good progress with this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a rooted 4.2.2 stock ROM. I think I have a custom recovery installed, but not sure which. I have the franco Kernel installed.

Is it possible for me to return to stock to install the 4.3 OTA? I have downloaded it and tried to install, but it errors out.

I went the long way around to get 4.3, but don't mind learning new tricks. Try the NCry toolkit - It will flash your stock kernel if you didn't back it up in franco.Kernel Updater. Removing the custom Kernel should do it. Then you can OTA or use NCry to flash the Factory Image. NCry will root the N4 afterwards and install TWRP or CWM recovery.

franco has a new nightly out for N4 on 4.3 as well... I'm holding out for a stable.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
And here you thought you painted yourself into a corner. Now you have several options to choose from, rooted stock rom in recovery, using a toolkit, adb sideload, fastboot flash, etc....I personally prefer the method I used because I don't have to touch a PC to do the upgrade. I download everything to my phone and flash all thru recovery. But now you know you have several methods you could use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18