Have you seen this Motorola Technical Bulletin?

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
This was e-mailed to Beserk19 re an Update the first week of November:

Tips Official known Bionic problems reported from Verizon - Android Forums

Quote from the Overview: "This bulletin documents any known issues with short term work arounds identified on the Motorola Droid Bionic (XT875) software at launch."

Anyone know how to find this online for future added items prior to the release?

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
• 9/22/11 Subcategory: Configuring SD Card Location
o Applications may need to be configured to access the SD card memory:
 SD card (external): /mnt/sdcard-ext
 Internal phone memory: /mnt/sdcard
Action: No work around required.
Resolution: No resolution required, working as designed and approved by Verizon Wireless.

So does this mean they arent doing anything about the SD card issues? "working as designed" poor design then...

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
There is no issue on SD. it works as designed. I've been saying this for awhile. Also most bugs u all have isn't a bug. Designed and approved by vzw. I'm still rocking my day one device no issues. No fb no headphone whine. I have my memory swapped so I don't have that issue I already new about hand of issue

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is no issue on SD. it works as designed. I've been saying this for awhile. Also most bugs u all have isn't a bug. Designed and approved by vzw. I'm still rocking my day one device no issues. No fb no headphone whine. I have my memory swapped so I don't have that issue I already new about hand of issue

Sad thing is that some behaviors that are "Approved by Verizon" should be classified as bugs.
The storage issue isn't a bug, but it is confusing to people. It's confusing to apps also. Some apps can't install properly unless you unmount the SD card and just let them see the internal storage.
The behavior that should be a bug is how the phone handles the internal vs. SD storage and how the phone presents those to a computer when connected. Until I found a trick to get around the ignorant mass storage default behavior, when connecting to a Mac, it would only mount the SD card. That meant that any pictures or content on the internal storage was unreachable. It should mount both partitions by default so a user, and their computer apps, can access them. That is either a bug or poor design.

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

They even said in that bulletin the headphone whine is an issue they are working on, so how is that not "a bug"?

Your delusional if you think this phone is perfect. I love my bionic, but like all new devices it has bugs that need (and are being) worked out.

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
These 3 bug me... why would they be designed like this???

• 9/22/11 Non-branded Chargers:
The XT875 can only be charged with Motorola or Verizon Wireless branded chargers.
Resolution: No resolution required, working as designed and approved by Verizon Wireless.

• 9/22/11 USB Cables:
The XT875 can only be used with Motorola USB cables.

o 9/22/11 Google Maps & Car Chargers:
If using Google Maps with the Satellite layer enabled, a car charger will not fully charge the XT875.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So does this mean they arent doing anything about the SD card issues? "working as designed" poor design then...

Perhaps the key problem is that many apps have not been tweaked to suit the Bionic file structure. As time goes by, devs will have to do the tweaks so they install correctly.

Also, Bionic users may have to 'calibrate' their past practices of stuffing all & sundry into their external memory...there really is lots of space on the internal memory for apps (where Moto apparently expects them to be placed).

If'n yer rooted/de-bloated etc now, get yer plans ready to prepare for November!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
These 3 bug me... why would they be designed like this???

• 9/22/11 Non-branded Chargers:
The XT875 can only be charged with Motorola or Verizon Wireless branded chargers.

• 9/22/11 USB Cables:
The XT875 can only be used with Motorola USB cables.

o 9/22/11 Google Maps & Car Chargers:
If using Google Maps with the Satellite layer enabled, a car charger will not fully charge the XT875.

let me disabuse you of the notion that one must use certain chargers. I've used numerous chargers with my Bionic. THEY ALL WORK FINE. they come in various outputs, yet they ALL WORK FINE.

I've used non Moto USB cables. THEY WORK FINE.

In my vehicle I use a 110V inverter. Therefore, in my vehicle, I can charge my Bionic adequately when using google maps with Satellite layer enabled. AAMOF, I did so, for over 8 hours, on a recent trip. (ie, I didn't need to rely on a "car" charger)

Last edited:

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps the key problem is that many apps have not been tweaked to suit the Bionic file structure. As time goes by, devs will have to do the tweaks so they install correctly.

Also, Bionic users may have to 'calibrate' their past practices of stuffing all & sundry into their external memory...there really is lots of space on the internal memory for apps (where Moto apparently expects them to be placed).

If'n yer rooted/de-bloated etc now, get yer plans ready to prepare for November!

Wait, wait.. The Atrix has the EXACT same structure as the Bionic, internal sd card that has been partitioned, and external sdcard called sd-ext and it does not have these problems.

I've installed the same game on both my Atrix and Bionic and sometimes it'll randomly disappear from the Bionic unless I move it.

also, this affects apps from both the Amazon market and the regular Market. I've had Star Legends/Pocket Legends disappear completely, go to Uninstall them and you can.. then just reinstall and move. This should not be considered "working as intended" by Verizon.

Last edited:

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Wait, wait.. The Atrix has the EXACT same structure as the Bionic, internal sd card and external sdcard called sd-ext and it does not have these problems.

I've installed the same game on both my Atrix and Bionic and sometimes it'll randomly disappear from the Bionic..

Yes im still confused as to how the SDcard is working as intended.....im new to the android system but their has to be something that they could do to make moving/accessing/using items on the SDcards easier. I find it hard to believe we have to solely rely on the app. dev's to "adjust" to the bionics structure, when it doesnt appear other devices have this issue?

Or maybe im just an un-educated android user who hasn't figure this wonky file system out.......just seems like its so much more complicated on this device than it should and has to be.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes im still confused as to how the SDcard is working as intended.....im new to the android system but their has to be something that they could do to make moving/accessing/using items on the SDcards easier. I find it hard to believe we have to solely rely on the app. dev's to "adjust" to the bionics structure, when it doesnt appear other devices have this issue?

Or maybe im just an un-educated android user who hasn't figure this wonky file system out.......just seems like its so much more complicated on this device than it should and has to be.

Nope, you're right. It's a poor design that is confusing to people. Both "new to Android" people and vets.
:)

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not saying that the phone is perfect but i bought mine 3 days after launch and I have had no issues with it either, as far as chargers I have used 3 different ones only one was Motorola and they have all charged my phone, I have used several cable only one Motorola and that too has charged my phone fine, I have had no issues with charging either so yes the phone may not be perfect but I have had no issues, maybe i got lucky maybe my build is different than the rest but i have no complaints.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I too have used non Motorola chargers and usb cables. Got my bionic plugged into one now works fine and has since day one. I even have a couple third party chargers (non Moto and non. VZW) and they all work fine...

Joe92GT

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
That answered a question I always had. I was wondering why sometimes I would have to scroll back to the bottom of the txt message thread, It was weird and intermittent. Now I know why.

• Message Thread Order - Device Rotation:
If the XT875 is rotated from portrait to landscape then back to portrait mode after a message sent, the message thread jumps from the latest to the oldest message.
Action: There is no known around.
Resolution: A fix for this issue is under review and will be included in the first post launch maintenance release software for this device. The tentative release date is early November 2011.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I see some good fixes in there! I'll be happy to see some of them, but this is the first phone I've seen where the bugs don't annoy me. There aren't that many, and so far, the ones that are there are not terribly annoying. Sure...the occasional force close or freeze up is a little annoying, but not awful. Not bad for a new phone.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

It is like this on EVERY device that has onboard storage and an SD card. You have the internal card, and then the external one. Its designed that way so that system files and apps stay completely separate from your content. It is not a bug.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orubahealth