Hello All. I'm a newb and need some assistance with my new(ish) S7

nt40lanman

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm Rob and I have to switch from my Windows phone. Sorry this is a long post. I'm not exactly a newb as I'm in the tech field but I'm new to Android. I picked a Amazon Renewed S7 based on specs, OS version, and price. I've been setting it up bit by bit. I have set up 4 e-mail accounts in Outlook, 2 of which hold my home and business contacts lists.

What do you all suggest for cases? I'm partial to the gel or jelly cases as they are usually thin and seemed to protect my Lumia pretty well.

I prefer MS services so I use Cortana and MS Launcher but can't get MS services to respond to a button push on my eabuds. I get "Complete action using Google or S Voice" but would like to use MS services. Also it won't activate when the screen is locked. Any idea where I configure something like this?

I'd like to backup phone state for restoration to a new phone. My Windows phones did this excellently. However I don't want my photos, contacts, or calendar synced as I host them in Outlook.com. Looks like I can use Google or Samsung services. Which do you prefer and can you give some details on the setup?

Is there an easy way to remove "unremovable" apps like DirecTV or Uber?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!!

nt40lanman

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I was looking for that screen edge protection. I've never broken a screen but almost everyone I know with an android has a smashed screen.

That one had some bad reviews so I got this one and I like it, although it makes the power button a little sensitive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YTS271T?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6711457

And got this sturdier one for my GF because she has butter fingers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZYR132?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6711457

Bru3184

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I've always had good luck with Spigen cases and would highly recommend them.

I use Samsung for backups, you can select what you want backed up and it's easily restored with Smart Switch. I've never trusted it though and also back everything up to an SD card.

As for Cortana, that's basically dead except for some search features on Windows and a last ditch effort to get people using Xbox Kinect, I'm afraid you may be out of luck there. You should be able to remap the Bixby button though, doesn't fix the headphone issue, but it could be a work around.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I've always had good luck with Spigen cases and would highly recommend them.

I use Samsung for backups, you can select what you want backed up and it's easily restored with Smart Switch. I've never trusted it though and also back everything up to an SD card.

As for Cortana, that's basically dead except for some search features on Windows and a last ditch effort to get people using Xbox Kinect, I'm afraid you may be out of luck there. You should be able to remap the Bixby button though, doesn't fix the headphone issue, but it could be a work around.
There is no Bixby on the S7. It was released with the S8.