Help changing statusbar

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
For the last couple of days I have been trying to install the transparent status bar and keep running into problems.

I have the APK file saved to my sd card, and my first attempt I used the terminal emulator and put in these commands;
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd sdcard
busybox cp -R framework-res.apk /system/framework

Then my screen froze and wouldn't reboot so I did a restore and that got my Droid back on.

So this time I downloaded SDK and installed the drivers so I can try using command prompt from my computer but when I enter "su" it say su is not recognized as a command.

so that's where I'm at and need a little help hope I'm just missing something simple.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
For the last couple of days I have been trying to install the transparent status bar and keep running into problems.

I have the APK file saved to my sd card, and my first attempt I used the terminal emulator and put in these commands;
su
cd sdcard

Then my screen froze and wouldn't reboot so I did a restore and that got my Droid back on.

So this time I downloaded SDK and installed the drivers so I can try using command prompt from my computer but when I enter "su" it say su is not recognized as a command.

so that's where I'm at and need a little help hope I'm just missing something simple.

What device? Sounds like you're using the Droid and tried to mount the file system with the wrong command.

For a HTC device the command is

For the Droid its
mount -o remount /dev/mtdblock4 /system

To use the command prompt from your computer you need to have ADB installed and be running in the adb shell before you can use su, as Phil says su isn't a windows command.

Try this -
Open command prompt and navigate to the folder where you have the SDK/tools directory. Then:

adb shell
su
mount command from above
cd /sdcard

and if it's the Droid:
mount -o ro,remount /dev/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

If a HTC phone:
reboot

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
ah now there is the rub.

ok, here is an idea but don't try it out until someone else says it is safe-ish to do it this way - I won't be responsible for bricking your phone so let someone else double check this method before trying it, ok?

Copy framework-res.apk over to the root of your SD card. In settings > Application Settings check the box by Unknown Sources.

Go into your file manager and go to the root of your SD card and tap on the file. Choose install when it asks you. It *should* overwrite the old one, but please, don't try it till someone else on these boards tells you it is safe to do so coz I could be completely wrong and brick your phone. Ok?

Phil.

That won't brick the phone, but it won't work. The installer will tell you it's a system application and ask if you want to continue. If you say yes, it will tell you the app can't be installed on this phone.

But excellent outside the box thinking!

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
I guess. Maybe I have been back on Windows for too long? Ah well, when I get my mitts on a Huawei 160 mobile broadband dongle I will migrate back to Kubuntu (sorry, but I hate Gnome :p ).

Phil.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm using a droid running 2.1 and I do have adb on my computer. When you say running in the adb shell do I just have to open the command prompt and give the command adb shell? if so when I'm doing that it says device not found. And I'm not sure how to navigate through the command prompt either.

Thanks for the help

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Just put the apk on your sd card.
Open your terminal
Code:
su
mount -o remount /dev/mtdblock4 /system
busybox cp -R sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
mount -o ro,remount /dev/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot
Phone will reset itself and should be running the new framework resources when it comes back up.

For the questions about the windows command, I'd suggest googleing DOS command references and you should find a number of good tutorials about the various commands.

When you're in the adb shell you're using Linux commands because you're in effect running the phone through the terminal

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Did the same thing as last time, screen goes black this time after the busybox command and is getting stuck booting up. I'm going to do a restore again and give up trying to change the status bar before I do some real damage.
Maybe after some more reading I will figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for the help.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Now I see a new Nexus ROM out with the status bar transparent and grey so I might just give that a try.

Thanks again for the help: )

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just figured it out- the first file I tried was for 2.0.1 when I was on 2.1 and then after hours trying the correct file I had to use astro and rename the file from framework-res.apk.zip to framework-res.apk even thou it didn't show the zip when I would access the sd card from my computer. Even using astro it didn't show the zip until I went to rename it.
Thanks again for all your help guys and I finally starting to learn how to use the rooted droid. : )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov