Help me choose a phone: criteria below

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Really, I'm seeking a phone with the fewest complaints! Man, these forums are soaking with issues and it makes it difficult to pull the trigger.

I'm coming from a blackberry. I tried an Incredible 2 for a few days, but that signal/reception was outrageously bad! crazy bad.

Otherwise, I'd like...

hackability - something to get wifi hotspot going and reduce bloatware
Battery life - I expect this to be bad, but I at least want the option of getting a bigger battery to make battery life a non-issue
Strong signal/reception

Physical keyboard would be nice. I can buy a newish Merge (verizon) for $200. Not the most hackable phone, but apparently people like this phone....and it's got the keyboard.

Most important, I'd like a phone with the least number of complaints! Is the B

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid X2 and have been very happy with it. I was trying to hold off for the Galaxy S II, but, I needed a phone and couldn't wait months and months for the rumor mill dates to get pushed back farther and farther. I was only interested in 4.3 inch or larger screens, so, it ended up getting boiled down to X2 and Charge, and, X2 won out. I didn't care for the Charge at all.

Here is a thread discussing the X2, http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x2/116575-looking-droid-x2-need-some-feedback.html.

As for your questions.

I have no idea about Hackability, hopefully someone with an X2 could answer that. I would assume it's no problem.

I have found the battery life to be better than I expected. I'm a heavy user, and, I'm sure I could get through the day without charging, but, I work in an office so I top it off when I think of it.

I have found my signal to be excellent and quick with data, only spotty in areas where other people also have issues. I used to lose calls going through the basement and garage in my office on previous phones, but, I can still use the internet to some extent with my X2 in this situation. So, pretty happy.

No physical keyboard, but, I dunno. That just seems silly at this point. Before I got my X2 I swore by physical keyboards, but, now it seems like a waste of space. Put more power there or make the phone smaller IMO.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
No physical keyboard, but, I dunno. That just seems silly at this point. Before I got my X2 I swore by physical keyboards, but, now it seems like a waste of space. Put more power there or make the phone smaller IMO.

Oh yeah baby, physical KB's are so..... blackberry....:(

#1. Look for a device which has a simple 1 click root. Or similar. Stay away from devices which require command line entries, unless you are technically inclined. They are ok also, just require more user input and increased chances to fubar your device.

#2. Choose a device which has several Roms available. If you can't find a good answer here at AC, head to XDA Developers. Go to your device forum, and see what roms are available.

A lot of us can tell you what device works for us. But, that's us. I can tell you that a lot of HTC devices, are root friendly. Not all mind you. Samsung follows a close second, but some devices require an extra app like Odin or Kies (I think). It's not bad mind you, just samsung.

Stay away from physical keyboards, as a lot of the root methods require command line inputs from Android dev kit.Unless you want to get your sleeves rolled up. Require you to pay utter attention to the instructions.

Read the steps involved, read them 10 times if you have to. And know your device, and how to get to recovery if you miss a step and fubar it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao