Help me decide - keep the N1 or back to Droid

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Kicking back and forth on this - I really like the N1 - definitely prefer it over the Droid - but I'm concerned about the carrier switch to TMo.

Pros:
Screen quality definitely better than the Droid (not that the Droid is bad exactly)
Form factor much superior to Droid
N1 is freaking FAST

Cons:
TMobile coverage - voice is pretty acceptable, but 3G is spotty, sometimes very spotty (which could be helped via a software update)

So the options:
Keep the N1 on TMo
Flop back to the Droid on Verizon and wait a few months for the N1 to hit Verizon

Need to decide fairly soon to hit the RMA window - still have a few days though.

Thoughts?

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
That is up to you...you make the final decision no matter what we may or may not say. I would say keep it because I have Nexus One on Tmo as a personal phone and a BlackBerry for work on Verizon. Verizon is not much better than Tmo, in my city at least.

I mostly email and surf the web and I have no problem with Tmo. I say keep Nexus One.

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I would keep it.

I personally am running just fine on EDGE and don't miss 3G a bit. My ultimate field test is doing real time traffic and Nav updates while stuck on I-95 around DC. It worked on EDGE just fine so I am 100% sold. I know VZW also has good voice quality but TMO voice quality is usually pretty good as well and the Nexus One's noise cancellation makes it even better.

showson1

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I personally LOVE the N1 and I have no problem with T-Mobile coverage in San Diego, that being said..

If I had voice problems, I'd switch to something else.
If it was spotty 3G, I'd probably live with it and keep the N1.

I personally don't like the Droid at all, just don't like the design, but if they N1 wasn't doing everything I wanted then I'd switch.

I guess it comes down to how important consistent 3G coverage is to you.

Two things to keep in mind though:
1) Verizon is a lot more expensive
2) T-Mobile is constantly improving 3G coverage area.

Oh yeah.. you could always just wait for the Verizon N1 as well.. ;)

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
This is simple... you should always go where you have the best coverage and service. End of story. A phone is useless if you don't have adequate service.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Appreciate that - I've switched it, so we'll see what happens. Presumably if I have a bad experience I can just go back and swap back to Preferred?

Yes, that is true, switching to 3G only is not permanent. In my case, forcing my N1 on 3G has largely fixed the problem and I've been receiving 3G continuously.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
If you can't use your device the way you want when you want on the carrier you've chosen then switch carriers.

Carrier selection should always be first in my opinion. Personally I go carrier coverage, price then device.

Yahma

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
The N1 is an excellent phone. HTC already indicated an OTA update was in the works to improve the 3g performance of the phone. I would hang onto the phone, as its got 2x the speed of the Droid and numerous other improvements. I've had no problems thus far with the T-Mobile 3g network here in S. California, and currently, with T-Mobiles recent upgrade to HSPDA, they currently have the fastest 3g network in the nation.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
This is simple... you should always go where you have the best coverage and service. End of story. A phone is useless if you don't have adequate service.

Jeremy said it best.

This is why I had to sell my iPhone and get a Droid.. couldn't take dropping calls every single day.

I do miss my iPhone, but the Droid is one heck of a phone in its own ways.

So if I were you I would go back to Verizon and simply wait for the N1 to come .. doesn't look like its going to be that long of a wait anyway.

imiller913

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

I agree and both networks are good in my area the thing that gets me is that tmo's plans are so much cheaper than vzw.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site

+1.
Definitely go with the best coverage as long as you can afford!
I prefer T-Mobile over Verizon simply i get decent coverage with T-Mobile here.

Yahma

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I too prefer T-Mobile over Verizon. I get great coverage here in the Greater Los Angeles area with T-Mobile, and I don't like paying more for Verizon... especially since T-Mobile's 3G is faster!

mfura6579

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Well as of right now, T-Mobile has the fastest 3G network (7.2 HSDPA). There isn't any point in switching to Verizon if you have good T-Mobile coverage unless you just wanna pay higher monthly bills.

This might actually change your mind about going back to the Droid altogether.
YouTube - Google Nexus One vs iPhone browser speed test

If you really think the Droid is that slow when it comes to web, you've obviously never used one.

Not sure what they pulled there, but my Droid is just as good, if not slightly better, than my brothers 3GS.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Tmobile's 3g may be the fastest but only when you have coverage. That being said, one should not forget cost. Tmobile has some of the cheapest plans with data. Visual voicemail on android T-Mobile phones is free compared to the arm and leg that other carriers charge. If the service is good where you are, there's no reason to switch to Verizon just because they have good service in mobile, Alabama and T-Mobile doesn't. Also you can data on T-Mobile with their no contract plans, why should you ever have to be locked into a phone plan, carriers are not the government and we shouldn't be forced into anything just because we want quality phones. If money is of no concern to you then by all means wait for the Verizon phone but have fun paying extra for visual voicemail

d1pham

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
You should also take into consideration customer service. Verizon has a reputation for taking care of their customers. I cannot comment for T-Mobile since I have never used them.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You should also take into consideration customer service. Verizon has a reputation for taking care of their customers. I cannot comment for T-Mobile since I have never used them.
I've used both and T-Mobile's customer service is just as good, and often there's less of a wait. I've been on hold waiting for Verizon tech support for up to 10-15 minutes before. They are good at what they do though.

Yahma

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Customer service on T-Mobile is way better than what I've experienced with AT&T.. can't speak for Verizon, as I've never been a customer of theirs. With that said, there are some significant hardware differences between the Droid & the Nexus One (advantages of each platform are in bold):

Nexus One:
1 Ghz Snapdragon Processor
Dual Microphone w/DSP noise cancellation technology
512MB RAM / 512MB Flash Rom
Energy Efficient AMOLED 3.7" WVGA Screen
Android 2.1 OS
802.11 b/g/n (Note: hardware capable of 802.11n, however no support in Android yet)
FM Transmitter/Receiver (not yet supported in Android OS)
Virtual Keyboard w/backlit trackball
5MP Auto Focus Camera
4GB MicroSD Card (Expandable to 32GB)
Ships Unlocked
Weight: 130g

Droid:
550 Mhz Arm Processor
Single Microphone
256 MB Ram / 512 MB Flash Rom
Standard Backlit LED 3.7" WVGA Screen
Android 2.0.1 OS
802.11 b/g
Slide Keyboard with D-Pad
5MP Autofocus Camera
16GB MicroSD Card (expandable to 32GB)
Ships locked to Verizon
Weight: 169g

The significant improvements to the N1 include the screen which is more vibrant yet uses less energy than the Droid, the almost 2x faster processor, 2x the RAM (allows for faster application execution and multi-tasking), and the noise cancellation DSP which has been getting excellent reviews. Also the newer Android OS 2.1 is only available on the N1; however, the Droid will probably eventually get it as well as most other Android devices. The keyboard on the Droid may be it's only advantage at the cost of significant additional weight; however, many users actually prefer the virtual keyboard of the Nexus One, especially with Swype or other equivalent IME, so I consider this to be a wash.

From a purely technical perspective, the N1 is 2x as fast with 2x the RAM, weighs less and has a much more technologically advanced display. One advantage the Droid has, is Verizon packs it with a 16Gb MicroSD card instead of the 4GB card Google ships standard with the N1; however, MicroSD cards are cheap to upgrade and both platforms support up to 32GB cards. Its really a no-brainer, the Nexus One is a generation ahead of the Droid in terms of its technology.

When you take into consideration the lower price of the T-Mobile voice/data plans along with their free visual voice-mail, the Nexus One looks a lot better, especially if you are in an area T-Mobile covers. Like the previous poster said, don't let the fact that T-Mobile coverage might be weak in Mobile, Alabama sway your decision. If you are in or near any Metropolitan area, chances are you are well covered by T-Mobile already.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
24Shades