Help me decide on Android Please?

BigKenW

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all. I am a Sprint Pre user from over at PreCentral. I love WebOS but Palm isn't looking so hot. They haven't announced any new devices and I am due for a replacement phone in June. WebOS is amazing, but the hardware on my Pre is garbage. I am on my second after the touchscreen failed. This one has an Oreo cookie effect going on and really should be replaced.

So here is the deal, I really liked what I saw on the EVO 4G. I am currently paying for a 3G card for the laptop because of some work I do at $60.00 a month. The contract is about to expire. The $10-20 fee for hotspot (if it works in 3G is perfect for me). On top of that I am just outside Boston so I am hoping I get some 4G love.

I have some serious questions though about Android 2.1 that comes on the device.

- I have two MS Exchange accounts for different employers. One requires remote wipe and pin security. My Pre supports this and I can eliminate the PIN requirement after setup with a hack in PreWare. Will this work? I heard you have to buy a program to get full Exchange Active Sync support.

- I use Instant Messaging from AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Google, and Facebook. On the Pre, I can get AOL, Google, and Yahoo. However I have never been able to get Yahoo to work. I am assuming there are apps for all of these, just checking.

- I have other email accounts at Gmail and Yahoo. I assume GMail works great. Do I have to do anything special to access Yahoo Mail? On the Pre I just enter the account logon info and WebOS does the rest. No need for IMAP or POP3.

- Are all of the email accounts accessed from one central location? WebOS's email implementation is like RIM's, only on steroids, and a lot easier to use. Same here?

- I think WebOS's Synergy feature is amazing. It integrates my contacts from Facebook, LinkedIn, GMail, AIM, and Yahoo. It then syncs this information to each of those services to keep the info up to date everywhere. Does Android do this or something similar?

- Can I search the MS Exchange GAL?

- Multi-tasking is cool on WebOS, but I rarely use more than one or two apps at a time. Can you run multiple apps at the same time and switch between them easily?

- I know Android has a huge dev community. On the Pre, I can sideload some applications such as PreWare. I then can patch up the system with hacks and such easily. I can also easily root the Pre. If I really hose up WebOS, I can run WebOSDoctor to restore it without any real problems. Can you run hacks on an Android phone without bricking the phone?

Thanks for the help in advance. I am about 80% sure I am going to jump to Android with the Evo 4G. But I want to be really sure.

Thanks! -Ken

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
- I have two MS Exchange accounts for different employers. One requires remote wipe and pin security. My Pre supports this and I can eliminate the PIN requirement after setup with a hack in PreWare. Will this work? I heard you have to buy a program to get full Exchange Active Sync support.
From what I understand, you really need a suitable app to support the Exchange security policies.

- Are all of the email accounts accessed from one central location? WebOS's email implementation is like RIM's, only on steroids, and a lot easier to use. Same here?
Not sure on the Evo but that's not the case on the Droid -- particularly if you're using something like Touchdown for Exchange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOJOdokr