Help! Pixel 2 XL constantly rebooting when charging...

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well looks like yet another Pixel 2 has crapped out on me.

History:
Approx. 6 weeks ago, my phone charged all night and I pulled it off the charger and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I unlock my phone to see if I missed any messages and things were good. I hop in the shower and get out and check my phone because I had a message come in. When I unlocked the phone it immediately said battery was low and I needed to find a charger, it showed 5%. Of course I immediately thought WTF - the battery monitor wasn't showing it to be warm, and no app could drain that battery so quickly. I plugged into the charger and it went immediately to 99%. I unplugged it and it was fine the rest of the day.

A week later I had a situation where the phone simply refused to charge. I restart solved the problem.

Fastforward to last night, I plug my phone in before bed, a minute or two later I get the battery icon on the screen, you know the big white battery in the middle of a black screen? The icon you get when you're charging while the phone is off, I thought hmmm that's weird. Then it pops up again a few seconds later, I realize my phone is constantly rebooting.

I unplugged it restarted and all seemed fine, I plugged it back in and same thing, goes into a restart loop after about 20 or 30 seconds. I tried charging with the phone off and after 20 or 30 seconds the phone turns itself on, goes to the lock screen and immediately reboots.

At this point I try another charger, the same charger my wife's Pixel is charging on...same result. I have another charger in the kitchen, I try that, same result. A few more restarts and finally I give up and call Google.

The tech said that this is a motherboard problem, we went through very little troubleshooting, which I appreciate because I did a lot of that myself, but he was so quick to call it a motherboard problem it makes me wonder if this is somewhat common?

Now, here's another interesting bit of info. This morning, the phone is charging just fine, however, it is NOT in "do not disturb" as it was last night.

Google is sending me another pixel 2, this will be my fourth now :( but it won't be here for 7 business days they said. Any thoughts as to how to limp this thing along for another week? Has anyone else experienced this with their phone?

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Goodluck with that, they seem totally uninterested in any sort of discounted or reasonable upgrade plan for those of us that have had awful experiences.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
he was so quick to call it a motherboard problem it makes me wonder if this is somewhat common?
If you look up on the Google Community forums it seems to be coming a more common problem. More often than not the phone charges ok if it's completely turned off, so your issue is a bit uncommon, but I've seen enough reports of 'phone shuts off after connecting charger' to believe that there's a systemic problem.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you look up on the Google Community forums it seems to be coming a more common problem. More often than not the phone charges ok if it's completely turned off, so your issue is a bit uncommon, but I've seen enough reports of 'phone shuts off after connecting charger' to believe that there's a systemic problem.
Wow, yeah I did a google search and there's a bunch of hits...wayyyy too many hits for something like this on a flagship phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow, yeah I did a google search and there's a bunch of hits...wayyyy too many hits for something like this on a flagship phone.

Yep the pixel 3 line is really starting to look like it should be skipped and just wait for the 4 and hope it's better. After three tries though Google still can't seem to put out a reliable line of phones........ they sure can be reliably counted on to raise the prices to ridiculous levels for what you're getting though.

Don't get me wrong I love my first gen pixel and it's been working flawless since new, and I plan to continue picking up pixels, but I'm definitely going to be skipping the 2 and 3. I just hope the 4 is reasonably priced and an actual step up in quality for a change. They can't keep making each generation worse quality wise than the last or they're going to kill their reputation and the brand :O

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Yep the pixel 3 line is really starting to look like it should be skipped and just wait for the 4 and hope it's better. After three tries though Google still can't seem to put out a reliable line of phones........ they sure can be reliably counted on to raise the prices to ridiculous levels for what you're getting though.

Don't get me wrong I love my first gen pixel and it's been working flawless since new, and I plan to continue picking up pixels, but I'm definitely going to be skipping the 2 and 3. I just hope the 4 is reasonably priced and an actual step up in quality for a change. They can't keep making each generation worse quality wise than the last or they're going to kill their reputation and the brand :O

What's wrong with the Pixel 3?

I doubt it's reasonably priced, they shafted us on the trade in value of the 2 this year when 3 was released and the 3 was pretty pricey. I doubt we get any reprieve.

I'm probably done after this experience, I'll either a) go Samsung or b) go iPhone (yeah I said it and it makes me sad)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000