HELP!! Water dammege

djnk954

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
(I've searched, but couldn't find something that answers my question. Also, information does change with time).

So my 19 months old son dropped my wife's EVO into the toilet... It was there for a second but I'm sure it will show signs of damage in the coming days/weeks. Her EVO is about 45 days old, without insurance. Experts, what are my options?

p.s.
For the sake of marriage, please help :p

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Remove the battery, when you put it in the rice. Let it dry a few days, before attempting to power it on, again.

Sent from my eVo

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
1.. pull battery... do not attempt to turn on!
2.. put in bag of rice, shut tight... the rice will absorb all the moisture in the air .. and keep doing so.. till all moisture is gone from the evo. leave for 48 hrs or longer. Longer is better.

put battery in.. say a little prayer ..and turn on.
if it boots up... call sprint to see if you can add insurance.... if the phone dies in the next few days.. then you are covered. :D you can cancel the insurance after 2 months if the phone is OK.

djnk954

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your advice, will try the rice thing. One thing's for sure, were having sushi in a few days ;)

Also, what do you guys think of putting the bag of rice in the sun? Maybe to accelerate the water turning into vapor?

Last edited:

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Glad it seems to be working after the rice treatment (which was great advice).

One caveat: like most electronics these days, the Evo has some little water-sensing tabs inside. If they ever get wet, they irreversibly change color. So if your phone ever does fail and you go to return it, Sprint will immediately know it got wet, and may claim "water damage" even if the problem is unrelated to this brief immersion.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If you get Sprint to add insurance, I think you will have to wait 30 days before you can make a claim. They do this to prevent people from adding insurance only when they break their device.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The more important question would be - Why have NO insurance on a brand new phone like that?

Without insurance you're either force to buy, fixed, or pay for the repairs.

Good luck getting it fixed.
*note*
Please consider getting insurance on this or any other devices in the future.

bridic

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
The thing about water damage is even if you cannot see any signs under the screen or under the battery, the tech will more than likely find some once the device is taken apart. With no insurance, there really isn't anything Sprint can do.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your advice, will try the rice thing. One thing's for sure, were having sushi in a few days ;)

Also, what do you guys think of putting the bag of rice in the sun? Maybe to accelerate the water turning into vapor?

ew. You would cook rice and then eat it after it absorbs toilet water, finger & face grease, traces of earwax, and dust from the phone?

I thought you were trying to improve your marriage. :-[

It's actually over 24 hours to be able to make a claim for insurance, not 30 days.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
npark - thanks for the correction. I thought there was a "waiting period" if you added insurance after that first 30days or so after you buy the phone.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I think they may call you on the number of the phone that has the new insurance if it wasn't added at time of purchase (to make sure you are insuring a functioning phone).