Help with Display Issues / Skin Tones with the Note 20 Ultra

spitshaw

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi all! I recieved my Note 20 Ultra and I'm confused about the display and hoping for some advice. Essentially, there seems to be a milky haze or a kind of 3% greyish filter over the display that makes things look greenish/yellowish or grey depending on the content. Can see it on the UI but it mostly bothers me with skin tones and faces - people look pale or washed out with yellow/green or grey tones to their faces and skin. It's off putting as it makes people look ill!

I'm coming from a P20 Pro and own a Tab S7 Plus so I've compared images and videos across all 3 devices and side by side it the Note20Ultra looks bad. The P20 pro and Tab s7 plus screens seem to calibrated similarly, and I expected the Note20Ultra to be the same as the Tab S7 Plus seeing as they were released around the same time -and I LOVE the Tab S7+ screen.

Can't tell whether I have a defective screen or Samsung have purposefully designed them this way? It's still a beautiful display, but it lacks saturation and sharpness and instead has an almost liquid-like quality to it and kind of feels "alive". So it looks good in it's own way but the skin tones and washed out faces are bothering me.

Is this normal for this device? Is there a way to fix it? I like everything else about the phone and want to keep it but I can't get on with how it makes people look - especially as I only use the phone for tv/movies and photos/social media. It's not even as if it's a hardly noticeable issue either.

It's hard to capture on photo but I tried to, compared against my p20 pro here: https://imgur.com/a/VOgrr21

I've tried using dark mode, turning off "apply dark mode to wallpaper", toggled between all the display settings, refresh rates and white balance and nothing seems to make a difference. Any advice or ideas? Appreciate the help! :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a very slight difference at imgur - sometimes the P20 is brighter, sometimes the Note 20 is brighter. That's about all the difference I can see.