Help with phone options

Ckeuler23

Feb 21, 2019
Visit site
So I purchased an S6 active online about 2 years ago after dropping and breaking the screen on my normal s6. I work outside at a golf course so rain, dirt, and me dropping it are most certainly in play here. Unfortunately they did not make a galaxy s9 active, which makes me want to just go with the s8 active as I trust this version based on the hard times my s6 active has seen.

However, the s8 active is actually more expensive than buying the new s9 now, and I would imagine that s9 price will go down even more with the s10 coming out.

So I'm torn on shelling out for the s8 active, taking a chance on an s9 breaking, or looking elsewhere.

The new Nokia from what i can tell is a pretty good phone and seems pretty tough as well. Also would buying a refurbished s8 active be a bad idea?

I read someone say the specs on the newer galaxy phones are as good as the old active so there was no need in having them. I don't understand the specs and such as well as I'm sure some on here do, so I'm coming for help on what I should do here.

I can afford the s8 active if need be it just seems crazy that newer phones are cheaper. And the s10 has neat features but nothing new i really need.

Any help is appreciated

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

I have heard good things about the Active line - I can understand why you'd want to go for it. Samsung makes pretty durable phones with water resistant ratings; but if you are used to the degree of protection that the Active line gives you, it may be best to go that route and get the S8 Active.

It is quite weird that that phone is actually more expensive at the moment; but if it's what you are used to, it may give you further peace of mind to go with something that you know will work well for you outside, in bad weather, with drops,etc.

With regards to Nokia, it is an awesome brand; but be sure to check to ensure that its network bands are compatible with those of your carrier.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Get a Cat phone, you can hammer nails with it, take it swimming and measure temperature with the IR camera!
They are tough.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Get a Cat phone, you can hammer nails with it, take it swimming and measure temperature with the IR camera!
They are tough.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Cat phone! I knew a guy who had one and would throw it against a wall because he knew it could stand up to it. They're tough, for sure. But don't throw them against walls just because you can!

Ckeuler23

Feb 21, 2019
Visit site
Thanks guys,

From what I've read those cat phones and other super rugged phones like that just aren't up to the level of other smart phones. Just from a speed and smoothness level is my main concern.

My only fear with going with an s9 or s10 with a tough case is I had an s4 I believe back in the day in an otter box that I dropped and it became pixelated and the screen eventually went black. Then my s6 with a decent case broke the screen on a drop.

Would anyone who knows more than me know if there's any truth that the specs on s9 and s10 suggest they're as tough as the active line now?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I have the s9+ and the S8 active. The 8 active was 20 more, and worth it to me. Aside from the spec sheet you've read, the user experience is better, and it's my daily driver, leaving the 9plus at home mostly. I use a Bodyguardz screen protector and no additional case. It feels better in the hand, has the 600 band, and is a beast. I find the curved edges of the s9 gimmicky and not useful in a work phone. The 4000 ma battery always gives me a whole day. The drop protection has so far held up, having been dropped off the top of a 6 foot ladder and only broke the screen protector. Good luck with whatever you decide.