Heresey I know, I'd like to try a cheap windows phone

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, just like to see for myself and Amazon have a Nokia 520 for 99-bucks.

Anyone point me at some reviews on this model v the 521 for value etc?

Thanks

Let the stoning begin! :D Yow!! :D

Note to self, "will this be here in the morning?" :;

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi All, just like to see for myself and Amazon have a Nokia 520 for 99-bucks.

Anyone point me at some reviews on this model v the 521 for value etc?

Thanks

Let the stoning begin! :D Yow!! :D

Note to self, "will this be here in the morning?" :;

The 520 is available in 2 versions; unlocked or AT&T locked. The 521 is locked to T-Mobile. So the way to decide which you get is by which carrier you're on.

I have a 520. I got it because it was cheap and I wanted to try out WP, just like you. You might like it; you might not. WP is primitive as far as features, apps, and maturity in general. It's good for users who aren't heavy smartphone users, or who are trying to get away from Google. It is NOT good for business use!!!!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would wait for a sale. I picked up the 520 for $40 myself a while back. Not a bad device considering the price.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I actually really like windows phones. I picked up a cheap nokia lumia 520 and the battery life is actually really damn good. I can download podcasts in seconds.I mostly use it as a iPod now though.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My biggest complaint is lack of first party apps that I need especially Google Apps. There are third party app options but I don't want some third party app to have my Google info

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Before I switched to the Moto X I picked up a pristine Nokia 820 off Ebay for $39 just to try a Windows Phone.

The 820 is beautiful, smooth, responsive and I love the fit and finish. It seems to be a very well made phone. It also can do wireless charging with the wireless charging back that adds less than a mm to the thickness.

HOWEVER...... it had very uneven battery life in standby. Even with everything turned off and not synching, one day it would do about 1.5%/hour and the next it would do 3%/hour. I never found the reason and worse, Windows phones are VERY locked down and do not allow access to any sort of in depth system monitoring so it is very difficult to impossible to figure out what just killed your battery.

The only thing I miss about it is that out of the box, it offered to read texts over bluetooth when in the car. This did not require any sort of program and did not require that GPS be enabled (to determine if I was driving). I have never been able to get my Moto X to do that.

So I switched to the Moto X and find it and Android to be a breath of fresh air. The Moto X in standby (with no synching) can do about 1%/hour and it is totally consistent. And Android is FAR more customizable than Windows Phone is.

Paul

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I will hold out a little longer and wait for a better sale price. I appreciate tgp's explanation of the 520 v 521. I will of course be buying unlocked and our local tower has both AT&T and TMo so my X-SIMM should work for my current account using the micro-nano carrier.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Last time I checked the 520 was 59.99 on amazon and I bought one as a backup. I used wp for two straight years before I bought my moto x and am happy for now with the change. If you haven't given windows phone a try you should, just commit for a couple weeks because it becomes a joy to use as you discover all the features.

I'll sell you my brand new unopened at&t 520 shipped for $65 thru PayPal if you are interested.

Edit: I see that the unlocked version is $104 on amazon and that's the model you are referring to.
I would decide which carrier and buy that model, at&t versions often don't have all T-Mobile bands but T-Mobile phones usually have all at&t bands. 521 T-Mobile version has Wi-Fi calling though and 520 doesn't. I would look for an unlocked 521 if you haven't decided on the carrier.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I would decide which carrier and buy that model, at&t versions often don't have all T-Mobile bands but T-Mobile phones usually have all at&t bands.

You nailed it. I had a 521 that I got unlocked, and I have an AT&T 520 that is also unlocked. At the time I had both of them, I also had 2 active SIM cards, one on AT&T and one on T-Mobile. The 521 (T-Mobile) with the AT&T SIM card got 3G service, but the 520 (AT&T) with the T-Mobile SIM card only got Edge.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Give it a shot. You'll be back :p I used a high end windows phone and the features just don't compare

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Edit: I see that the unlocked version is $104 on amazon and that's the model you are referring to.

Thanks but we live out in the boonies and our local carrier has AT&T and TMo on the towers, but I do not want to be locked to one carrier in case the local people get a better offer from TMo etc. So, would rather go with a generic unlocked GSM.

Oh, and thanks for the phone offer but it will be a cold day in Hell before I do anything with that payment service.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Give it a shot. You'll be back :p I used a high end windows phone and the features just don't compare

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
Not necessarily. I've actually sold my HTC One in red for ?188, and have treated myself to a Nokia Lumia 920 for ?179 (thank you Tesco). Had one before that was part of a bad batch, but when it wasn't acting up due to defective hardware (NOKIA FFS!) I loved the phone. I went to Android from WP and went back to WP. That said, I am an EXTREME anomaly in all this in that I actually use mainly MS services, not Google services, and found them to be disjointed on Android. Whereas they all act in synergy together very well on WP IMO.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I stumbled upon a Nokia Lumia. I think it was an 8XX (Not completely sure which model TBH)? My friend had it with Verizon but got a few upgrades and sold this phone to me for $30. It was super complicated to my eyes. I really had to focus on what I wanted to do. I think it's an experience everyone should try but it wasn't for me.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power