Hinge, screen issue and warranty.

Old_Norm

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
I'm considering buying the Flip 4. Some reviews of the Flip 4 on the Samsung site mention the hinge breaking and a black screen. They also say that Samsung doesn't cover the hinge and screen issue under warranty. In reply to the reviews a Samsung spokesperson says to contact the warranty department. Has anyone had the hinge and or black screen issue? Is Samsung repairing the phone under warranty or is payment required?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had no issues. If my phone does have problems in manufacturing or materials within the warranty period, I can assure you they WILL repair it under warranty . You do not want to see me go full Karen!

They did change the hinge design, but even when Zac from JerryRigEverything bent it back til it popped out of place the device was still fully working.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had no issues either. Not with my Flip 3 and not with my Flip 4. I do open and close it quite a lot and no issues.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm considering buying the Flip 4. Some reviews of the Flip 4 on the Samsung site mention the hinge breaking and a black screen. They also say that Samsung doesn't cover the hinge and screen issue under warranty. In reply to the reviews a Samsung spokesperson says to contact the warranty department. Has anyone had the hinge and or black screen issue? Is Samsung repairing the phone under warranty or is payment required?

Samsung has been known to try and squirm out of repairs on their folding phones... it seems to be on a case by case basis. They try to weed out the ones who give up easy, saves them money.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
No issue here, and I don't use a case and have dropped it several times(not on purpose, normally don't drop phones). All phones can and will break if they hit the sweet spot, I have dropped phones from a ladder and they haven't broken, but my wife's apple watch fell from the table next to the bed and the whole screen popped off. Just random luck.

I will add that I had a concern with getting repairs if necessary locally, so I did add the Samsung insurance so I could just ship it off if needed hassle free. The deductible is only $29 I believe, so it is not horrible.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
No issue here, and I don't use a case and have dropped it several times(not on purpose, normally don't drop phones). All phones can and will break if they hit the sweet spot, I have dropped phones from a ladder and they haven't broken, but my wife's apple watch fell from the table next to the bed and the whole screen popped off. Just random luck.

I will add that I had a concern with getting repairs if necessary locally, so I did add the Samsung insurance so I could just ship it off if needed hassle free. The deductible is only $29 I believe, so it is not horrible.

Dropped my ZF4 right on the hinge and completely broke the device.
So HeY YALL! The sweat spot is the hinge. I knew when it sounded like a loud crack as the hinge made contact with laundry room floor ceramic tiling was game over!

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Samsung does cover the screen cracks. Sent it in for replacement and it was covered fully!

Sent from my SM-F721W using AC Forums mobile app
Nice, at least we can get them repaired relatively easy.

I have nightmares when I think back to my Palm Pre days and having to deal with sprint for warranty work. It was a crap shoot.

andee1517

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Dropped my Flip4 yesterday and now does not open fully. So annoyed with myself. Could have been completely avoided if I had put it in my back pocket like I normally do. I'm guessing to have it repaired would be very expensive. Totally screws up my yearly trade-in. I always get a good trade-in value since I usually have the previous years version. Not even sure it would be eligible for trade-in in this condition. It does work perfectly other than the annoying won't open fully issue!

andee1517

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone traded in a flip phone that had a broken hinge? As mentioned previously, the hinge is broken on my Flip 4 so it only opens 90 degrees. Other than that, and of course that is a biggie and not spending $500+ to fix it, the phone powers on/off, no scratches or dents, makes/receives calls, etc. Just trying to get an idea how much Samsung might reduce trade-in value.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Dropped my Flip4 yesterday and now does not open fully. So annoyed with myself. Could have been completely avoided if I had put it in my back pocket like I normally do. I'm guessing to have it repaired would be very expensive. Totally screws up my yearly trade-in. I always get a good trade-in value since I usually have the previous years version. Not even sure it would be eligible for trade-in in this condition. It does work perfectly other than the annoying won't open fully issue!
I've dropped mine a few times but have a case no problem, you had a case on it?
Has anyone traded in a flip phone that had a broken hinge? As mentioned previously, the hinge is broken on my Flip 4 so it only opens 90 degrees. Other than that, and of course that is a biggie and not spending $500+ to fix it, the phone powers on/off, no scratches or dents, makes/receives calls, etc. Just trying to get an idea how much Samsung might reduce trade-in value.
It will be reduced a good amount but contact Samsung

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

andee1517

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I have dropped it once or twice before with no issue. This time around, the phone was folded and caught the sweet spot. I did have a case on it. My cute cat case. My boring case, with the hinge protector (yeah I know ....) was home, in my drawer doing me absolutely no good. No idea if it would have helped but would have probably given me better odds.

Yeah I figured as much. To replace the hinge/screen replacement part costs $580. I have already called Samsung. They could not tell me how much they would reduce the trade-in. Going to see about picking up a phone on Swappa to tide me over and then go from there. Using the phone 24/7 in folder position is already grating on my nerves.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Of course not!!
This is why having a credit card that comes with phone insurance is important. Sorry this happened to you. I mistakenly tripped over something outside and feel on my phone which cracked the outer display. Luckily I have Samsungcare+, but was surprised it only cost 99 without insurance to replace the outer screen.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I dropped my GZF4 right smack on the hinge on ceramic tiles floor rendered the phone unusable. So YES it's not covered but screen protector is covered.

Sent from my SM-F721W using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish